A Bielefelder Thread !

I am placing an order with Greenfire today and splitting it with a girlfriend to defray shipping... We are in Thousand Oaks. PM me if you'd like to be in on it- it's chicks only. I will be getting a couple Roos in my order and hopefully by fall be able to offer eggs or chicks to some here in CA. They would be strictly a fun, backyard, family project for our kids and us.
Yes yes yes!!!! I would love to get in on it- have been trying to reach Greenfire for a week with no luck!!! I'd love 2-3 roosters and a few female chicks if available

Has anyone been having issues with serious genetic issues and DQs? Like I had that cockerel with what I thought was wry tail and ended up having a back/hip deformity - I did have to put him down. I have two cockerels with sprigs on their combs and I think two of the girls from the one line have actual wry tail (when I only have three girls...). I don't have any boys with solid white tail feathers, but the two with the sprigs have tail feathers that are partially white. I would have culled them based just on that, the sprigs were just a 'bonus' reason.

Since technically all Bieles came from GGF, and there has only been two imports, the genetic pool has to be pretty limited and causing issues. I mean, I was thinking that maybe the fertility issues could be part genetic.

I was just pondering these things and thought I'd ask.

Has anyone been having issues with serious genetic issues and DQs? Like I had that cockerel with what I thought was wry tail and ended up having a back/hip deformity - I did have to put him down. I have two cockerels with sprigs on their combs and I think two of the girls from the one line have actual wry tail (when I only have three girls...). I don't have any boys with solid white tail feathers, but the two with the sprigs have tail feathers that are partially white. I would have culled them based just on that, the sprigs were just a 'bonus' reason.

Since technically all Bieles came from GGF, and there has only been two imports, the genetic pool has to be pretty limited and causing issues. I mean, I was thinking that maybe the fertility issues could be part genetic.

I hatched my Biels from eggs that came from two different breeders. Each of my cockerels came from a different breeder, and each of them shows white tail feathering on half of the sickle feather when those feathers begin growing out to be shed. One of my cockerels and one of my females from a single breeder do show a single comb sprig each. Both of these traits could be easy to breed out of the birds if they bother you. Me? I love the personalities of my birds so much that I can easily overlook these minor imperfections, and they're now part of my mixed flock and contribute a great deal to the peace and harmony in my back yard. But if I ever do decide to breed Biels to sell chicks I will be sure to acquire some new stock directly from GFF first and only breed the "cleanest" birds so as not to pass on any undesirable traits.

I have not seen the springs on my birds but BOTH the springs and white feathers are genetic so as with any breed we just have to cull and make it better. You can work with springs but you really have to cull hard the next generation. I am fighting it in my Cuckoo Marans pens now. No body is expressing it in the breeding pen but it is popping up.... then I had a racoon attack that kill most of them so I have to work with what I have for now.

I have not seen the springs on my birds but BOTH the springs and white feathers are genetic so as with any breed we just have to cull and make it better. You can work with springs but you really have to cull hard the next generation. I am fighting it in my Cuckoo Marans pens now. No body is expressing it in the breeding pen but it is popping up.... then I had a racoon attack that kill most of them so I have to work with what I have for now.
I am sorry to hear you lost most of your Biels. My young 8 week old cockerel has a side sprig. I wasn't sure how to proceed. Do you just keep him and cull in future generations or do I get rid of him now. If the latter..... isn't this there regardless whether I can see it or not?

Just got an email from Greenfire. They are giving 20% off chicks until the 16th.
celebrate.gif

I'm raising my first Biels (2 cockerels, 6 pullets). These are the largest breed I have raised, but I'm astonished at their growth rate. They are increasing 60-85% every single week. Is this in line with those of you who have raised multiple chicks?

Yes, Bielefelders are huge feeders. Right now I have Christmas and NYD hatches in same brooder, and their difference in size is amazing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom