A Bielefelder Thread !

Any suggestions on tagging or banding day old chicks to keep up with traits along the road to maturity for breeding programs. I have seen leg bands but do they have ones for young chicks then remove for juveniles?

Some folks use toe tags. I can't stand the thought of piercing any part of a chick.

Bantam bands are supposed to work for chicks but I usually find them laying around later. Zip ties work as well.
Stormbergs has a good selection.

Any suggestions on tagging or banding day old chicks to keep up with traits along the road to maturity for breeding programs. I have seen leg bands but do they have ones for young chicks then remove for juveniles?

I used small, colored rubber bands on the chicks, changing them out for larger bands and eventually zip ties as they mature. You can buy the bands on eBay pretty affordably, or sometimes you can find inexpensive small, colorful hair bands at your local all-purpose store.

Which chick, the lighter or darker one looks like a Bielefelder hybrid? I am guessing the darker one? I am trying to ascertain all of this because at some point I may want to offer up chicks from these two babies to friends and would like to have a credible guess as to what I am giving them.

Which chick, the lighter or darker one looks like a Bielefelder hybrid? I am guessing the darker one? I am trying to ascertain all of this because at some point I may want to offer up chicks from these two babies to friends and would like to have a credible guess as to what I am giving them.
The one in the bottom picture looks like a Biel pullet to me.

Yes, that is exactly what I thought as well. When the breeder sold the chicks to me she said that one "might be" a Bielefelder but she did not say hybrid. Still, I am fine because the chicks are healthy, I am not a breeder (yet...... I am reading and being tempted), and I was looking for sweet natured chicks for my already sweet natured flock. The top chick is worrying me. Though I live on acreage, the builder of our neighbor's home put their house as close to ours as legally possible, mere feet away. The neighbors are very elderly (Korean War Vet) and in very very poor health. I can't have a rooster being noisy because of this. And I can't kill a chicken or give it away knowing it will be killed. Hopefully the top chick is just what an Ameraucana/Cream Legbar hen looks like at 2 1/2 weeks. There are not many photos to help me know. One thing about chickens that has surprised me... I am loving raising and stewarding these animals way more than I expected. :)

Back
Top Bottom