A Bielefelder Thread !

Good luck with the hatch! I came upon a few Bielefelder eggs by chance when buying Marans. Of the 14 I hatched we're keeping 3 Wheaten Marans (pullets I think), and 3 Bielefelders (1 Roo and 2 Pullets), So far, at 3 weeks the Bielefelders are super mellow and the roo will even approach my big girls, 4 Buff Oprppingtons although they don't want anything to do with the "kids". Here's pics of the three at 2 weeks. If any Bielefelder experts are out there please comment on the faded "eyeliner" on the blue background pic, should I be concerned?

I can't wait to see them grown! They are developing vivid colors at 3 weeks.

f

The bottom two might be roos. Light spot on top of the head of the upper blue photo, and hardly any stripe down the back on the The lower photo. But I'm not an expert! They sure are cute!

No that is what I hope.... but everyone here says Biels don't go broody. I did see one hen wondering around in the grown up part of the back forty a few days ago, I will try to find her. They can roam my 20 acres, my neighbor's many acres, my sister's 30 if they really wanted to hide. They are usually in a five-acre area around my house. No...... I take that back, they are usually on my porch leaving evidence of their presence everywhere!
roll.png
Wow! Those are really free ranging chooks!

I have a Biele hen that starts to go broody and then quits when I put eggs under her. I think that she doesn't quite know what to do. The first time she went broody I broke her of it after a month. It took another 3 weeks before she laid an egg. Then after 3 weeks she was broody again, so I gave her some eggs... it lasted about 4 days and then I found the eggs really cold.

I hope you find her. Perhaps we should invent lojack for chickens!

Quote: I have several breeds and none of my hens are as stubborn or as willful as the Biels. The last couple of days I have been fighting one hen that is determined to live on the porch. Another Biel hen has decided she wants to live in the grow out pen with the little ones. The pen has small perches and a lot of young birds and there sits that huge hen in the middle of all those babies every night. They give her a wide berth. They really are the only hens that don't pay attention to the house rules.

I read that sebrights rarely go broody. Guess mine can't read.
(Can you spot the chickie? She's sitting on 3)

I don't know who "they" are, but often they're wrong. LOL My Leghorn mix hatched eggs once.

Did anyone here have a successful broody Bielefelder?

I read that sebrights rarely go broody. Guess mine can't read.
(Can you spot the chickie? She's sitting on 3)

I don't know who "they" are, but often they're wrong. LOL My Leghorn mix hatched eggs once.

Did anyone here have a successful broody Bielefelder?

Oh my goodness! What a great photo! Save it for a future contest. I couldn't see that little one for a bit..looking to low..lol.

Also waiting to hear if anyone can say if these Bielefelders go broody often..or if they are good moms. My girls is growing so fast. Seems like she is growing faster than the EE's.

I got a text yesterday from my friend Amanda about my/her Biels. I bought all my birds from her, she has Greenfire lines and the birds are first generation. You might find it interesting because she said several of her customers called her to tell her that their Biels are going broody. The birds that they are calling about are the same age as mine, so same parent birds. Also gives me hope that hen is out in the woods somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom