A Bielefelder Thread !

:hugs My DH was talking about Havahart traps, but I feel as though we would just be giving the problems to other people. Last night we confirmed that it was a raccoon - we heard noises outside the coop (from the camera inside the coop). DH had put in a floor level window for the girls to look out, and we saw it going past the window. Not sure if it was just one.

We are now completing the predator-proofing of the middle run with hardware cloth and a corrugated roof. DH is also talking about electric fencing. Do you have any thoughts on that? He is worried about our cat, although our cat does not climb the fence! He is a bush dweller, and scared easily! He watches the girls, but he isn't stalking them. I think he learned from our elderly cat who just passed, that chickens are friends, not food :)

If they wind up in our hav a heart traps, we "put them out of their misery"! We have a local park very near us and don't want rabid raccoons threatening to hurt children;).

I am pricing electric fencing. That is something we are highly considering. We toohave an outside cat. Our yard has a chain link fence around it. We have to pen the cat up in the garage at night to avoid raccoons, opossum, feral cats, stray dogs, foxes and coyotes. I think the cat may run into it once, but they are pretty smart & won't do it again.

I am super egg-cited - I ordered two of these to hatch with my bluebar cuckoos.

My son lived in the village of Versmold which I guess is next to Bielefeld - the School he attended was in Bielefeld.

I ordered these because he loved Germany and being in Bielefield. Someone said Bielefeld chickens are just Welsummers with sex link but I think they are much prettier.

I cannot wait to get them and put them in the incubator!
Caroline

Awesome, good luck with your hatch!

If you use that plastic kiddie pool, place some bricks in the pool for them to stand/rest on. Someone on another thread offered this advice and I've found it to be invaluable. My chickens refused to go anywhere near the pool until I placed bricks both outside the perimeter of the pool, and in the water. Now it's the local hangout.
I was wondering if I should do that. I was wondering how to keep the pool clean and mosquito free. Bricks sound like a great solution. They did investigate it yesterday, mainly to drink. I threw in frozen corn, which sank to the bottom. They pecked at the meal worms that were on the surface.

That stream is sounding better and better.

Last edited:
Here are three of my Bielefeder crosses... The "yellow" one is the EE hen and the other two are with the Cream Legbar hen... I'm guessing two girls and a boy, but, the boy has good eyeliner...and a head spot.
1f612.png
wee.gif
They are so beautiful!
I have 11 eggs that are Bielefelder roo and Buff Orp, Silver Lace Wyandotte, Black Australorp, and also Biel crosses. It looks like most of the Biele eggs that were set are a bust, but maybe he was still in the learning phase :)

I am super egg-cited - I ordered two of these to hatch with my bluebar cuckoos.

My son lived in the village of Versmold which I guess is next to Bielefeld - the School he attended was in Bielefeld.

I ordered these because he loved Germany and being in Bielefield. Someone said Bielefeld chickens are just Welsummers with sex link but I think they are much prettier.

I cannot wait to get them and put them in the incubator!
Caroline
How cool that your son knows the town! Keep us posted on the hatch.

If they wind up in our hav a heart traps, we "put them out of their misery"! We have a local park very near us and don't want rabid raccoons threatening to hurt children;).

I am pricing electric fencing. That is something we are highly considering. We toohave an outside cat. Our yard has a chain link fence around it. We have to pen the cat up in the garage at night to avoid raccoons, opossum, feral cats, stray dogs, foxes and coyotes. I think the cat may run into it once, but they are pretty smart & won't do it again.
Thank you! My DH is thinking of hanging out in the yard with my son's Airsoft rifle - think less than a bb gun... We would have the neighborhood calling the police if we shot anything with a rifle.

I was thinking that the cats wouldn't repeat the mistake.

I was wondering if I should do that. I was wondering how to keep the pool clean and mosquito free. Bricks sound like a great solution. They did investigate it yesterday, mainly to drink. I threw in frozen corn, which sank to the bottom. They pecked at the meal worms that were on the surface.

That stream is sounding better and better.

Just an FYI....Corn actually raises their body temperature. You may want to consider freezing a different vegetable to entice them.

@Faraday40
lau.gif
Kaiser as cabana boy! Too funny for words. He has a shadow, his CCL lil bro who follows him around and observes. He can be assistant cabana boy!

I may have to add a tiki hut to the yard
yippiechickie.gif

We are in between thunderstorms right now, so I am going to steal a few stones that are destined for the pond (which has been stalled for 2 years) and use them as @DesertChic suggested in place of bricks.

I look at those chickens and tell them they have no clue how good they have it!

Back
Top Bottom