A Bielefelder Thread !

Hello, Hello, Hello to all!

Somehow I got booted off the list and have TOTALLY missed out on all the Biels news - what a chicken poop! But hopefully I'm back on so I can enjoy everyone's input.

Speaking of which, I need some advice. I just hatched my first two Biel chicks yesterday. While one is most obviously a male, the darker one I'm hoping is a hen. But, and this is a big BUT, she/he does have a smidge of white on the head as you can see in the photos. They are less than 20 hours at the time of photo. It is possible that the father is a Cream Legbar instead of a Biel.

Any ideas as to gender??????

THANKS and it's so good to be back!!!

Dana

I am happy to announce that my breeding pair (maybe trio , not sure if the other pullet is laying yet) has produced their first off spring! Just hatched two pullets!! There are two more sets of eggs in the bator, due in the next two weeks consecutively. This news is bitter sweet though. I have just had a confirmed diagnosis of Marek's in my flock. These Bieles have made it through so far, so I am hoping the babies will be resistant. That is my goal going forward, is to build a resistant flock. I have Isbar the same age that have survived also. I hatched four eggs from them too. Only time will tell if the babies will make it. Sad but necessary.

Last edited:
Hello, Hello, Hello to all!

Somehow I got booted off the list and have TOTALLY missed out on all the Biels news - what a chicken poop! But hopefully I'm back on so I can enjoy everyone's input.

Speaking of which, I need some advice. I just hatched my first two Biel chicks yesterday. While one is most obviously a male, the darker one I'm hoping is a hen. But, and this is a big BUT, she/he does have a smidge of white on the head as you can see in the photos. They are less than 20 hours at the time of photo. It is possible that the father is a Cream Legbar instead of a Biel.

Any ideas as to gender??????

THANKS and it's so good to be back!!!

Dana

frow.gif
Welcome back! IMHO you've got a female in the darker chick.

I am happy to announce that my breeding pair (maybe trio , not sure if the other pullet is laying yet) has produced their first off spring! Just hatched two pullets!! There are two more sets of eggs in the bator, due in the next two weeks consecutively. This news is bitter sweet though. I have just had a confirmed diagnosis of Marek's in my flock. These Bieles have made it through so far, so I am hoping the babies will be resistant. That is my goal going forward, is to build a resistant flock. I have Isbar the same age that have survived also. I hatched four eggs from them too. Only time will tell if the babies will make it. Sad but necessary.
hugs.gif
Sorry about the Marek's diagnosis. But hopefully your chicks will come through.
fl.gif

We love our Bielefelders and cannot wait for our two older ladies to start laying, they're 17 weeks right now. We do have 8 younger ladies that are 11 weeks old as well. We love our big boys Bo and Luke, they're such good boys. Our two Isbar rooster love to do the side shuffle at us, but the big boys always greet us nicely! I need to start Id'ing them now that they're getting older, what size leg bands fit everyone's Bielefelders?

We do have a mixed flock of Bielefelders, Isbars, Cresm Legbar, and guinea fowl.

The guineas btw are like the Bielefelder roos' little minions.
lol.png

We love our Bielefelders and cannot wait for our two older ladies to start laying, they're 17 weeks right now. We do have 8 younger ladies that are 11 weeks old as well. We love our big boys Bo and Luke, they're such good boys. Our two Isbar rooster love to do the side shuffle at us, but the big boys always greet us nicely! I need to start Id'ing them now that they're getting older, what size leg bands fit everyone's Bielefelders?

We do have a mixed flock of Bielefelders, Isbars, Cresm Legbar, and guinea fowl.

The guineas btw are like the Bielefelder roos' little minions.
lol.png

I use multi-colored hair ties that you can pick up an nearly any pharmacy for younger birds, and inexpensive colored zip ties on older birds, which you can usually find at places like Harbor Freight or on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom