A Bielefelder Thread !

IMG_1137.PNG
This is my biefielder roo. He was sold to me as a pullet, but clearly that was a mistake. Turned out to be a very happy accident. I didn't want a roo, but I love him. He's so sweet and great with his girls. I'm excited to see what his chicks will look like. My hens are Australorp, welsummer, speckled Sussex, olive egger and black amerucana.

A weekend of ups & downs. Sold lots of chicks & even my fav Spitzhauben Pair. It always feels good when you get a chance to meet other chicken families and know that your "babies" are going off to loving homes.

The sad & shocking news is that the chicken number went down by one today. My beloved Bielefelder "Hen Solo" died. The best I can figure is that she got into my garden by jumping the shortest section of fence by the gate. Perhaps she followed my intelligent lightweight athletic hen. Hen Solo probably couldn't find her way out. I do not want chickens in my garden, so I do not have feeders & waterers in there. Bieles don't do well in the heat. Being stuck in direct sunlight on a hot day with no water probably gave her a heart attack. I feel terrible. The fence is suppose to keep the chickens OUT not IN. I found her around 1pm. I already miss her continuous honking for treats as I do my chicken chores.
:hit
RIP my dear Hen Solo
View attachment 1070655
I am sorry to hear that you have lost one of your favorite chickens. It is never easy to lose one that is close to your heart like she was. I know you will miss her a lot.

If you are running short on candidates for a new favorite Bielefelder I have lots of them available. :)
Aww thanks. Hen Solo was our only Biele. We may try hatching them again in the future. For now we have a lot of Orpingtons & must rehome some chickens before winter. Sadly, Hen Solo was on the keeper list.

A weekend of ups & downs. Sold lots of chicks & even my fav Spitzhauben Pair. It always feels good when you get a chance to meet other chicken families and know that your "babies" are going off to loving homes.

The sad & shocking news is that the chicken number went down by one today. My beloved Bielefelder "Hen Solo" died. The best I can figure is that she got into my garden by jumping the shortest section of fence by the gate. Perhaps she followed my intelligent lightweight athletic hen. Hen Solo probably couldn't find her way out. I do not want chickens in my garden, so I do not have feeders & waterers in there. Bieles don't do well in the heat. Being stuck in direct sunlight on a hot day with no water probably gave her a heart attack. I feel terrible. The fence is suppose to keep the chickens OUT not IN. I found her around 1pm. I already miss her continuous honking for treats as I do my chicken chores.
:hit
RIP my dear Hen Solo
View attachment 1070655

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. They're such sweet birds. I know how much it hurts. :hugs

After two long years trying to get a fertilized egg out of my Bielefelders I'm now convinced there's a fertility problem with my one and only rooster. I've been watching him closely this year and haven't ever seen him even attempting to breed. I'm not having this issue out of any of my other breeds so I reasonably sure it's not a management or diet issue. I've spent countless hours reading through this thread, talked to numerous other breeders and everyone seems to agree this is almost certainly a rooster issue. So now I'm looking for a replacement rooster. I'm about to order some hatching eggs from Omega with the hopes of getting a few roosters (and some girls) out of that hatch - and wait the 6 months or so until he's ready. But if anyone has a mature or up and coming rooster they would be willing to part with please let me know and include price. Preferably in the Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia area. Thanks!

Jumping in here - I've read a lot of this thread over the last few days. I recently discovered Bielefelders and I'm very interested in getting some eggs to hatch. I found some on ebay and planned on ordering them next week when my incubator comes in the mail. However after reading several posts here about the traits that were undesirable I checked ebay again and every listing I could find had pictures of some birds with white ear lobes. Does anyone know where I could purchase eggs that are from breeders who are attempting to improve the breed, not just make a quick buck selling anything and everything?

I would eventually like to be able to sell eggs myself, but I'd like to have decent birds first. I haven't had chickens very long, but I spent years in the horse industry and one of my biggest pet peeves was people who just bred everything no matter the quality of the animal.

I used to breed this breed and would 100% recommend going to look at the parent stock in person, and even then you may not get what you want. From birds I have seen and ones in person there is a lot of discrepancies in what they originally looked like. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom