A Bielefelder Thread !

Sorry.
Here's one of my pullets with the white ears...
I looked closer, one pullet does not have the white. But I don't feel like I can trust the line. I also kept a cockerel from this bunch, he'll have to go as well, I guess. 20190106_123606-1.jpg

Hi, I got back on BYC to find out about Bielefelders. We saw them in the Murray catalog, and are interested - not for show, but for meat and eggs. I found them on another hatchery's website and the prices are much too steep for barnyard chickens $18 for males and $27 for females!
Murray's is about 1/3 the price. We've bought from Murrays before and have had no problems, but that's been 10 or 15 years ago, so I know nothing about their reputation nowadays. Murray's says they are a heritage breed, but I saw a post that says they are a sex-link cross - any idea of whether they are not heritage? We've moved to TN now and are ready to get back into the chicken pen stuff (just for the eggs and meat), but this is a new chicken to us!
We have no internet and have to drive to town to the library, so I won't get an answer right away, but I'd appreciate any input about this breed.
TIA

They were developed in Germany in the 1970s (I'm not sure of the definition of heritage breed for chickens...I know for turkeys it is natural breeding). Like with all breeds there is varying quality being produced. A couple of defects people have noted in less quality birds are white earlobes and excessive white tail feathers on roos. Greenfire Farms of Florida first imported them in 2011. Originally were exclusive to high end breeders, but have proliferated to where the large hatcheries (and smaller local producers) are now starting to sell them too. Good luck with the new place.

Back
Top Bottom