A Bielefelder Thread !

Hi all

This is my first time posting to this thread. I wanted some
Bielefelders, I hatched out some eggs mixed with a bunch of mixed breeds. I was hoping that this guy would be a Bielefelder roo, but the older he gets the more I doubt he is. If he had a little brown or gold in the feathers and yellower legs I would be certain. Any guesses?

View attachment 1790638
Looks like he has a fat rose comb. Perhaps there's a little Dominique in his mix. (barring/rose comb) Probably some other breeds in there too.

Looks like he has a fat rose comb. Perhaps there's a little Dominique in his mix. (barring/rose comb) Probably some other breeds in there too.
Thank you for yours and Gunslinger33 responses. No he has a single comb. Even though I expected it, I am disappointed he is not a a biel, but I have one hen and possibly another in a later hatch. I will be satisfied with those two. It is anyone's guess as to what cross he is. The person on ebay the sold me the eggs, had a list of his hen breeds and said they were all covered by a BC marans roo. None of the hen breeds listed had barring or cuckoo patterns.

I have 8 bielfelders, one is a roo. they are 14 weeks old. They spend most of the day in the coop, coming out early in morning for an hour or two and a couple of more times during the day for about 30 minutes They will come out later in the evening for a couple of hours. During the day they can be seen panting. they have plenty of water and a lot of shade. Temps have been low 90's for past few days with high humidity. Is this normal. They seem healthy and very active when out of the coop. another concern is that they are not roosting at night. they all bunch up together in a corner of the coop.

I have 8 bielfelders, one is a roo. they are 14 weeks old. They spend most of the day in the coop, coming out early in morning for an hour or two and a couple of more times during the day for about 30 minutes They will come out later in the evening for a couple of hours. During the day they can be seen panting. they have plenty of water and a lot of shade. Temps have been low 90's for past few days with high humidity. Is this normal. They seem healthy and very active when out of the coop. another concern is that they are not roosting at night. they all bunch up together in a corner of the coop.
When I put mine in the coop the first time I had to go in the coop every night and put them on the roost for about a week before they finally got it! As far as the panting I have the same weather conditions and I haven't really noticed the panting!!

My heavy breeds (English Orps & Bieles) pant when it's hot. They can't sweat so it's their way of cooling off. Our summers are normally in the 80s, so when we get a few days in the mid 90s the flock looks miserable.

I've had some breeds have difficulty roosting. A little training each night and they should pick it up.

I live about 70 miles east of Atlanta. Our summers are very hot and humid. We have been in the upper 90's several times already this year. When it's that hot all of my breeds (Biel, Orps, SLW, OE (NOT A BREED), PR, and Brahma)pant.

My Biels seem to take the heat about the same as my other breeds. When it is very hot and humid they will go out for a couple of hours and then return to some shade and water.

As far as roosting I haven't noticed any difference between my breeds. Some will roost sooner than others. I currently have several breeds of 3 month old chicks and some roost while others still huddle. My Brahma's have been the quickest to use the roost bars. I do have two adult Orps in with the chicks that might deter their desire to roost but the bars are significantly lower (chick height) versus the adult roost height.

My biels are 25weeks old now and I got my very first egg today! So pretty

Attachments

• F0B65C4F-D8A7-4990-876A-7A28F1BA6189.jpeg
    F0B65C4F-D8A7-4990-876A-7A28F1BA6189.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom