A Bielefelder Thread !

The breeder told me they have brown eggs and sometimes they can be speckled, I am so happy I have a speckler!!
Many of my bieles had speckled eggs. The color starts out pretty dark & fades as the season progresses. The speckles should stay but main color will lighten.

Your girl made a pretty big egg. The size will increase, so you may have trouble closing up the egg carton. LOL (It's a great problem to have!) Congrats!
:thumbsup

Hi all, dunno how active this thread is, but I've a question. Has anyone ever crossed Bielefelders with Barred Rocks? Since both are auto-sexing, do they produce auto-sexing chicks? I'm curious because I have a single Barred Rock roo that is a meat monster, way meatier than my Bielefelder roos despite being younger and smaller overall. I'm interest in putting him over my Biel hens once I've finished hatching out more pure Biels.

Hi all, dunno how active this thread is, but I've a question. Has anyone ever crossed Bielefelders with Barred Rocks? Since both are auto-sexing, do they produce auto-sexing chicks? I'm curious because I have a single Barred Rock roo that is a meat monster, way meatier than my Bielefelder roos despite being younger and smaller overall. I'm interest in putting him over my Biel hens once I've finished hatching out more pure Biels.
You'll likely lose the auto-sexing in the mix. Bielefelder is a carefully mixed line that took years and years to develop, any change to that mix will have unexpected outcomes.

You'll likely lose the auto-sexing in the mix. Bielefelder is a carefully mixed line that took years and years to develop, any change to that mix will have unexpected outcomes.
I understand, I just thought auto-sexing to auto-sexing would work. Like, when you cross Bielefelders with Legbars, you get auto-sexing green egg layers. However, their auto-sexing is more similar to each other than that of Barred Rocks (dark base with double barring, whereas Bieles and Legbars are e+ with double barring), so perhaps the BR is just too much of a wild card.

Not sure about the genetics of autosexing breeds, but it would make sense that breeding one autosexing breed to another would continue that trait. Barred Rocks are used to create sex linked hybrids (one generation). I don't think Barred Rocks are an autosexing breed. Would be an interesting project. Perhaps the autosexing would continue for one generation or it may create an autosexing hybrid. Not sure... maybe someone else with more info on the genetics of autosexing will weigh in.

Back
Top Bottom