A bit of a rant but also a question, dog owner manners..

I vote for the "here's a crate please, put him in it" option.

These kinds of people never think they are doing anything wrong or impolite. They only think it's wrong or impolite when it happens to them in THEIR home.
wink.png

Rusty

That is rude to expect you to crate your dogs in your house and then let her dog roam free. I would put a stop to that right away. Your house - Your rules.

I have a friend that I end up babysitting her dog but she knows that I don't allow dogs on the furniture even though he is used to it at home he has figured out that is a no-no at our house. If she is just here for a short visit her dog goes out in the dog run. But again I have let this dog in and they know what the rules are.

As for me- the dogs stay home. I don't get it when people bring them with everywhere.

Worst dog owners who disobey the store signs "GUIDE DOGS ONLY"........what makes you think you're exempt from this rule?

If there is no ID, tags or GD jackets, then you have NO business bringing in the dog in a store. People like that have problems with boundary rules.

My dogs are trained to never go out the front door an they don't jump on us. But it never fails that when someone else shows up an sees the dogs standing at the door they have to come in the door bent over waving there hands lake a crazy person hollering back, back back. Then they act shocked that the dogs are freaking out. If I had a mastiff you wouldn't do that so why do you think its ok because they are pugs.

Wow, how frustrating!

There seems to be a prevailing "exemption" mindset in both dog parents and human parents- "oh, those rules apply to everyone else except my precious little one! (or my precious little self)".

As a dog owner and a parent, maybe I'm too vigilant in making sure we're not the nightmare but I think it's a matter of respect. We play by the rules when we're on other people's turf and I expect my rules to be respected at my place- so it goes.

I know you said your friend wouldn't tolerate it but truthfully I think a little face time with a well behaved pack would be really good for that little dog's development. My sister's miniature bull terrier grew up without a lot of socialization and I think one of the best things for him was meeting my pack and figuring out not just how to be a dog, but how to be a <i> good </i> dog.

Quote:
th.gif
I had no idea they were dangerous! I was just fawning over a chihuahua in a store the other day- it was dressed in a pink sweater with sequins.

Yeah- OP, I wouldn't allow an animal to come in my home that constantly had accidents without a crate. Ewww. (No offense to chihuahua owners meant, BTW.)

Last edited:
Don't think you're being petty at all.

If you were being petty you'd visit her with ALL three of your dogs in tow and when she answers the door say I'll wait outside until you get your dog locked in their crate".... rather than just talking to her.

Of course if talking doesn't work... perhaps she's more of a visual learner and needs to SEE, her dog caged while others get to wander and how they SHOULD behave when a guest...

Yup.. show up at HER house with a dog or 2 of yours....
See what she has to say about it....
that will be your opening chance to have the " its probably best that you dont bring your dog over to my house either" conversation....

She is coming tonight, that is what had me thinking about it. Perhaps it will be self limiting. If she brings the chi around, I will crate the bullmastiffs...this last time as it is a bit of a drive out here. But the saint puppy(10 weeks old and already outveights the chi by 20lbs) will stay out for some supervised visitation.(I'd let the cards fall where they might but don't want to frighten a 10 week old puppy or let her think she can play excuberently with the chi). So 'll supervise them both, with equal corrections to both dogs, also when she sees how frequently the saint is taken out to potty(she is a potty trainig genius and has only had 2 accidents, both my fault..in the 2 weeks we've had her) perhaps she'll see that dogs can be house trained.

I will have a talk with her about it too. She honestly just does not see it as an issue, if sh did Idon't think she'd do it...but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom