A bit worried about funky air sacs

mamaginabean

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
MI
I've got 4 silkie eggs in the incubator, I started with 6- one had a scrambled egg sac and never developed and the other just never developed at all. Everything looked normal until around 8 days when the air sacs on two of them started to get a bit funky. When I candled at 10 days, this is what they looked like:
IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

What's going on? I'm using an older-than-myself HovaBator and I've got the water chambers filled (though I'll admit that I don't have a humidity gauge- no tomatoes please, we can't afford one as dh is laid off).

eta: Embryos are moving around fine in all of the eggs, they're definitely alive and kicking
for video and more pics look here: http://eggstraordinarylife.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Are these shipped eggs?
I have seen air cells like that one eggs that were shipped...have them in the bator right now.
I believe the eggs get bumped around enough for the membrane to pull away from the side of the shell.
If the chicks are developing they will most likely be ok.
Carolyn

Quote:
Yes, they were shipped. What makes me mad about it is that these came from about 2 hours away, it was just less hassle to have them shipped than to pack up the family to ride all the way out there. I never would have thought that they'd get so messed up during shipping, they seemed to be well packed, too.

I hope they'll be okay, I guess as usual it's just a 'wait and see' thing though, eh?

You've got great development going on in them!
Some one recommended to me that I hatch them in an egg carton to encourage the chick to orient toward the top part of the huge aircell.
I hatch in egg cartons anyway but it might be something you may want to try if you don't use cartons already.
Good luck, I bet they'll be fine.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for our funky air sacs!
Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom