A bonded rooster - should I replace his hen?

horsedaze

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Snoqualmie, Washington
We had 10 hens, 2 roosters, and two ducks, a male and female. One hen and one rooster, who are two years old, have been together since they were born - very bonded to each other. The other chickens and ducks are the same age - all are around 21 weeks old. The 2-year-olds (Bob and Chica) are silkie bantams so they are smaller than the other chickens. They are so adorable together. If Bob finds a worm, he will give it to Chica. He takes such good care of her. Well, we free range during the day. I work from home so I am always home with them. But Chica disappeared the other day - no one called out - I am assuming it must have been maybe a hawk because there were no feathers, nothing, and no warnings. Bob cried for three days. It was heart breaking. He just sat outside my window and cried. He is not interested in the other hens. He has stopped crying, thankfully, but this brings me to my question...

Do we need to get him another bantum? Would he even bond with her? Will he eventually be interested in one of the other standard sized hens? Do I just let him be a bachelor?

I feel bad for the poor kid. :( Thank you for any input you have.

Aww poor thing he will be devastated at the loss. Are you sure that she just hasn't gone broody ? Chances are it will take a while for him to adjust and I don't know if he will take to another girl. In time he might if you get him another silkie

I sure do hope she has gone broody and will show back up but it has been a couple weeks now. How long could she be gone if that was the case? She was such a doll. She would jump up on our laps and hang out with us. We sure miss her! And poor Bob!

well incubation is 21 days, but it would depend on if she already had a clutch of eggs, and if they were to hatch. If you have any bushes, half tires and anything she could squeeze into then checking would be a good idea

I'll cross my fingers but I think it is more likely something got her. Although if she wanted to hide, she could definitely do it. We have 17 acres with lots of places to hide. 21 days, huh? Wouldn't that be the best if she showed up!!

Yes it would be, If not then getting your boy some young silkies/ young silkie pullets would be best so that he can bond with them and protect them. The first few days he might ignore them so having them in their own run/ pen/ house could be a good idea.

It's hard to know if Bob would accept some new girls, normally chickens will actively(and naturally) attack any newcomers.....read up on integration.

That is what I was worried about... with 13 birds, they get along so famously, it is nerve wracking to think about rocking that boat. I will read up on integration. Thank you!

No, unfortunately, she didn't. He has done well though. He hasn't really bonded to any of the other hens the way he was bonded to Chica but he hangs with the girls and takes care of them. He really is such a nice rooster.

Thanks for asking!

Back
Top Bottom