A Box of Monsters

Pics

Stacaroni

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Arizona
Chicken math is in full swing here so it seems an appropriate time to start this thread.

We brought home our first box of monsters April 29. 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Olive Egger and a Buff Orpington. They surprised us with their charm and grace.

20220429_093419~2.jpg

The beasts outgrew their brooder quickly. Before long, they were spending their days lounging in the sun.

20220519_131844~2.jpg
20220522_165655.jpg

Yes, they have their own beach towel. Mostly because it's now covered in poop.

They grew SO fast! It seemed to happen over night. One of them is obviously from a famous family.

20220601_210634.jpeg

Of course now they're almost hens and have a place of their own.

20220701_190324.jpg

Then chicken math took hold. I received a box of monster eggs in the mail! Who knew such a thing was possible? Thankfully, I had an incubator ready to go.

20220720_112525_HDR.jpg
20220721_095233.jpg

A mere three days later, I was informed there was another package for me at the post office. This time, a box of live, noisy monsters had been sent. 3 Australorps, 2 Dark Brahmas and 2 Speckled Sussex.

20220722_080156.jpg

I hope this is all of them. They are entertaining but we only have room for so many.

Last of the big girls, but never least, is Olive. Feel free to roll your eyes this time. We intended to give her a better name but never did.

Olive is the head honcho of our operation. Her leadership skills were obvious from the day we brought her home: pushy and bossy. Unlike the animated game bird she resembles, she is not angry but uses her angry eyebrows to communicate how serious life is.

20220701_183913.jpg

In Jan. I ordered 26 chicks for May (Meyers). Then I found out about Surprise box (Mini) 18+ chicks and possibly a duck/turkey. I didn't get ducks or turkeys, but they sent 28 chicks also in May. While I was waiting for those, I went to MT to visit my son in March. I brought home a doz eggs and 8 of those hatched (plus I added another doz from local farms. another 8.) They hatched in April, and I added a few from the tractor store. Around the end of April I got bored and bought 3 doz eggs from the store that were local farm eggs. 34/36 hatched. So a quick count of that, 107 chicks this spring- what am I nuts? (I had the space) I re-homed many females and even got some rooster requests. I am way down now. Still alot. I want to let the roosters grow out a bit and then process them if they don't get homes. I am keeping the fancy-unusual birds. In the end I will have about 30+ by fall.

Next up are Daphne and Velma. They are best buddies.

Daphne is the sentry and does an excellent job of sounding the alarm whenever anything suspicious happens... Like cars driving by 100 feet away.

20220701_183802~2.jpg

Velma is the smallest. She's fairly friendly but mostly when there's food involved.

20220701_183539~2.jpg

This is sounding really familiar...🤔 Hmm.

So THAT'S how I ended up with nearly 20 "regular chickens" (for fresh eggs), an assortment of "petting chickens" (because who doesn't want to pet a pretty bird), two, correction,  one travel-sized "purse chickens" er, chicken" (because Banty chickens are only half a chicken..and that would be weird to have 25 & 1/2 chickens, so I had to get 2!), one "show chicken" (decorative purposes only), and, of course, my own "personal pet chicken" Sunspot!
(Thinking...)
Nope, not a single superfluous chicken! Every single one is absolutely crucial to my flock, especially the decorative one. 😁

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom