A broody or nesting rooster?!?

1FastFlamingo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Brevard County, Florida
Spike is definetly a roo, has fathered a chick too. He`s a black tailed red frizzled bantam mutt roo. Well this morning I am out giving my girls their daily treats and found Spike in a nesting bin making a nest and settling in! Is this normal for roos to nest or do egg or chick time? He`s my sweetheart of the flock and defends all those small er than him (and he`s pretty short too being a banny) lol. Just curious... On a side note, my girlies love sweet potato skins over regular potato skins apparently! LOL

1FF sounds like your roo is having an identity crisis. Maybe he needs gender counciling LOL. Either that or give him some eggs and call him Mrs. Doubtfire. LOL

Hey, nest boxes are great places to nap!

Also, he can keep an eye on those laying biddies.

My roo often gets into a nest box to show pullets it's a great place to lay eggs. He turns around, making that cajoling sound that he also uses when he's found a goodie for a favorite hen. He might get in and out two or three times, to show the pullet how great it is.

It's really endearing to watch.

Yes, he is perfectly fine! LOL He is just either napping or is trying to convince the young pullets where and how to sit. I don't know how old your chickies are but, that is all he is doing. I actually had a rooster who let one of his girls lay an egg right on top of him! LOL He was a funny sight!!

Thank you all! Sounds exactly like what he`s doing! Trying to show my younger girls where to go. He`s such a gentle boy when it comes to the girlies, even watches over the real young ones too.

Back
Top Bottom