A Bum In My Yard!!!

Quote:
Yes, this was my thought.

My first thought is how sad. Most of the cronic homeless have literally no place to go. The more recent victims of the recession have forced them out of shelters. On top of that, they can't even camp out in no residental places. In Sacramento, they just evicted a group of homeless living on a parcel of land in a industrial zone. Even though they were paying a dollar a week for rent to the landowner - so they were technically tenants - they were kicked out due to one house in the area.

I personally would have not hosed her. I would have just talked to her and tried to get her help.

When I took the bus to the county bus to campus as an undergrad, I had the opportunity to meet quite a few homeless. They are people just like everyone else. They are not crazy and they definately do not deserve to be abused. Please, have humanity and treat them with respect. You maybe in their situation one day.

Diane

I agree, i probably would have helped them out. And yeah some people are probably thinking "They're crazy" i will say yes, some are. But so are some of the everyday people you see and would still be fine with..

A lot of people don't like to help them because they believe they will spend money on beer, but i look at it like this. You have a 50/50 chance... A 50 percent chance you can give money to a beer-bum. And a 50 percent chance of helping someone who actually needs it.. If you helped a beer-bum there isn't much you can do about that, just take note of them if you will. BUT if you helped someone who really needed the money then you can go home satisfied knowing you helped a good person who really needed the hand out.

My grandmother who died, always said "always help the person in need, you never know. That person could be God/a angel, or that person could be you one day". And in today's economy, that person could be...

Last edited:
Quote: "My grandmother who died, always said "always help the person in need, you never know. That person could be God/a angel, or that person could be you one day". And in today's economy, that person could be..."

I have always believed this way... There have been times I've been led to help and give a handout and then there were times that it just didn't feel right but I gave the handout anyway, cause you just never know.
We have a bohemian(I believe I remember correctly) brother and sister here that are homeless... They came up from Fla. after a major hurricane several yrs ago... I met them when I worked at Lowes, they bought a wagon and used to trade it in for a new one every few months til the store manager stopped that. Lost their whole family, children, spouses, and parents in the hurricane. They came up with the clothes on their backs and two dogs that survived. Good folks full of christianity. Unfortunately for them, she is very pretty and was taken advantage of in a bad way many times and now will not take handouts as often because she associates them with favors that she doesn't want to trade(and I can't blame her). She is easier for me to talk to than her brother... He isn't very social and acts as if he's angry at the world... But who could blame them. They aren't dirty street urchins. They take very good care of themselves. Shower at the YMCA about every day... The churches here sometimes have offered and even paid for hotel rooms for them but they just don't accept it, but they will accept food. Very interesting listening to their stories, and she has a beautiful voice. I heard her singing Christian music in their tongue at a Thanksgiving dinner at our local Catholic church.

Quote:

My first thought is how sad. Most of the cronic homeless have literally no place to go. The more recent victims of the recession have forced them out of shelters. On top of that, they can't even camp out in no residental places. In Sacramento, they just evicted a group of homeless living on a parcel of land in a industrial zone. Even though they were paying a dollar a week for rent to the landowner - so they were technically tenants - they were kicked out due to one house in the area.

I personally would have not hosed her. I would have just talked to her and tried to get her help.

When I took the bus to the county bus to campus as an undergrad, I had the opportunity to meet quite a few homeless. They are people just like everyone else. They are not crazy and they definately do not deserve to be abused. Please, have humanity and treat them with respect. You maybe in their situation one day.

Diane

I totally agree.

But the person was smoking in a crispy fire hazard! I have been up close and personal with brush fires and landscape fires. That is an immediate danger to herself and all around.
*sigh* I'm just glad I didn't have to face this particular test. Similar things in my past, some I did well, some I'm ashamed of.

One word--- compassion!

Lawn sprinkler --- no compassion.

Each of us need to remember that we do not know where we will be tomorrow.

Call whatever Gov. agency that is suppose to deal with these PEOPLE. The old lady was a PERSON, she is HUMAN.

Quote:

. . . I personally would have not hosed her. I would have just talked to her and tried to get her help.

Diane

I don't think she was against the homeless. Remember, this is California, land of wildfires. They woman was in her bushes smoking. The fire risk was very high. She soaked down the area after the woman left. Endangering someone else's property is not cool.

First of all guys... Calm down, she didn't hose the homeless person, she (if you're a he, please forgive me!), that they gave her 30 secs to get out before hosing and then hosed the area, this to me says the woman left and if she didn't, she at least got some warning...

The thing that gets me, she was SMOKING. This woman is HOMELESS, yet she's affording Ciggs? I don't know about San Diego but here in RI CHEAP Ciggs are $7.50 a pack...

It's like this friend I have, really good friend, I've known her since I was 6 years old. She is constantly complaining that they are so broke, when they make 1 1/2 the income we do and their rent is $350 a month!
Where's the money going? Into her lungs, she smokes 3 packs of Marlboros a day!!!! Drives me NUTS! I am so glad I quit 5 year ago when I thought the ciggs were expensive then at nearly $4.00.

It wasn't her comment that I was talking about. It was the subsequent comments.

DB

P.S. I don't mean to state the obvious, but cigarettes are much less expensive then rent.

Last edited:
Quote:
$7.50 a pack times 30 days is still $225.00 a month. That's about 1/2 of what we get for our 1 bedroom apt. We had some bums living under our deck, and they were smoking, drinking, and leaving all their trash etc. all over the place. Not to mmention all the feces........

Back
Top Bottom