A Bum In My Yard!!!

we had a "homeless" man come to our door when i was living in downtown Guelph and all he wanted was my empty beer bottles so that he can cash them in for the deposit to help told him over till he can get his pay cheque. he looked neat and tidy so I said hold on I will get them.

a few weeks later the same situation presents itself and again I oblige.

again a few weeks later he presents himself at my door and this time I was not home, this time my 16 yr old son was babysitting my younger 2 children and he told my son that my DH said it was ok for him to come inside my home and retrieve the beer bottles. which was not anywhere to being close.

i seen the man a few days later and questioned him about it and he was stoned off his rocker and denied the whole thing.

about 3 weeks later he came knocking again and i refused telling him we had none. he went into my backyard to have a look for himself
somad.gif
i flipped out at him and told him to go away and never come back ( I know i used 4 letter words that are not allowed on this forum...lol)

about 6 weeks later my home was broken into! my TV was broken, my VCR and DVD were gone, but nothing important or of value was taken cause i have all my valuables in a safety deposit box

the police found his bike in my driveway right at the back as you walk into the back yard.

my dogs were in their crate and i thank god cause he may have hurt them if they tried to protect their home.

about a month after the break in I found him sleeping on my front porch on my swing in the middle of the night, I called the police and he was arrested once again.

this all happened in a span of about 6 months, we moved shortly after that.

please be careful "helping" a homeless person or a bum from your home address... I was lucky no one was hurt but it always does not work out that well

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I SO agree There is plenty of help out there and I have helped but most do not want to help themselves. There is a lot of local places that help people in the US and if I want to help them I will vol. or send $. I go in the city often and will purchase food but no free $.

I had a umm odd lady on my lawn Saturday morning around 8:30. It was raining and I took the dog out and saw something black by the "weed" woods line and our lawn. I thought it was a garbage can or something then it moved and I thought bear and I started to book it out of there and turned around to look one more time and realized it was someone with a black hoodie, sitting on the wet ground in the rain. I scooted inside and ran to my parents place upstairs and they couldnt see from their windows to many trees and then we peeked out our door and she was laying on her back knees up and waving her arms up and down, in the rain!! Freaky! I have a DD to look out for and my birds! We called the cops and they came to find her by our dam cleaning it off for us. While that was very nice I do NOT want her around again. She was obviously missing a few. All I need is to find her eaten by a bear on my lawn!! Ugh so much for living almost in the country!
Oh and she gave them an address...

I know that many homeless have chosen to live that lifestyle. I'm also sure that twice that many have not chosen it and have no other choice. My DH and I work at the same place and in the last two years have been laid off twice for at least 6 months at a time. If we were not fortunate enough to have very well paying jobs and able to put money back when we were working, we could possibly be homeless as well. However, thankfully we both have family that I am sure would help us if circumstances were that dire. I have thought about this many times. What if we didn't have money in the bank or a wonderful family that would help? I am sure that is the circumstance of many homeless. How can you not have compassion for others in less fortunate circumstances? Whether you choose to help that less fortunate person or not it's your choice. But just remember, Not every homeless person is a theif, drug addict, etc. Someone out their is waiting for help from someone else and unfortunately that help may never come because we have no compassion left. I can see attitudes like this in many instances, not only with homeless people or bums but with our elderly as well.
I sometimes think the US is much better at taking care of other countries than it's own.

Be very cautious when dealing with "homeless" people. Meth makes people really crazy, and they sometimes do horrible things.

Charity begins at home; you need to think of the safety of your family first. While it is a nice thought to want to feed and clothe the needy, this is best left to the professionals. Do not invite these people into your home, unless you have a death wish. Do you want to see your kids raped and murdered?

We have a homeless shelter in the neighborhood, but they kick people out when they are caught misbehaving, using drugs or drunk.

Then they live in the alleys or break into unoccupied buildings. They make fires and go to the toilet just any where.

They are pretty much destroying the neighborhood. Half of the homes have been repossesed and are easy targets.

Society seems to be divided into those that have had bad experiences and those that will yet have them.

Rufus

Quote:
Although I commend your charity, I hope that you would not let a strange person inside your home. You could be seriously hurt or have your children-if you have any-harmed.

Quote:
Unfortunately I think this a rather naive statement. If you've spent any time with the homeless, in the shelters or soup kitchens, legal clinics etc you'll know that there is usually an underlying factor that is common in 75% of homeless people. Drugs, Alcohol, Mental Issues are the biggest. Most of them are happy to be how they are where they are whenever they are. Most of the ones I've worked with hardly see beyond tomorrow let alone themselves.

In our society we have basically made it a criminal offense to be homeless, and the hardcore select who stay in this category for a while will often have a long list of offenses on their record, from public drunkenness, possession, prostitution, vagrancy, public urination, shucks, in many cities, its illegal to store your personal belongings in the city parks where a lot of the homeless congregate along the waterfront during the warm months. My point is this...... Breaking into your house, stealing your stuff to get money for more drugs and booze, well if it works they get what they want. If they are caught? They are put up in a facility that has heat and air conditioning... Three square meals a day, and the use of bathrooms. All of which is unavailable to most hardcore homeless.

Why not bust in and break a tv, carry off stuff that you can fence... either way they win... right?

Back
Top Bottom