A BYC CHANGE OVER REALITY. All need to read.

I hope everyone will accept my sincere apologies for any negativity you've seen from me.

In fact I went back to delete my posts with any negativity, but oops... can't do that anymore!
thumbsup.gif

Sincere thanks to Rob, and the mods. Soon we'll wonder how we ever lived without this platform.
I apologize as well. I am done whining and will do whatever I can to help.
elevan, kstaven, Kelly, flockwatcher and Nifty have been so positive and helpful. Their tact and patience makes a big difference.

It isn't so bad. I like the new text options. Everything seems user friendly so far. It will take some time to be able to navigate as well as before but that is to be expected. It is kind of like moving to a new town and trying to get somewhere, eventually it will become second nature.
idunno.gif

The only thing I really really really do not like is the "Review" column on the right.
hide.gif

I think it looks good. No doubt there will be some glitches, but if it needed to be done, then the migration went pretty smooth, given you were only down about a day.
caf.gif
thumbsup.gif

I am sorry too. I made some harsh comments too. JUst I hate change. (sigh))) THanks y'all for all your hard work.

Quote:
Hhandbasket...you may want to try cleaning out your cookies and temporary internet files...that helped mine quite a bit. I also restarted the computer to clean out some clutter.

Thank you for the tip. I have to clear my cookies at least once a day because of my job (I have people's medical records on my computer & have to be extra careful). I have also fo reboot several times today because my computer froze up trying to go from one page to another on the new format here. I'll time the page changes, as I said, up to 27 seconds ... unfortunately, three times today it froze up to the point where I just had to reboot the computer. (After 30 seconds came and went... then 1 minute... then 3 minutes... then 5 minutes... I'd just reboot.)

Control-alt-delete is our friend LOL !

I'm bummed that it's so slow on my machine because the new features seem really cool & we'll be able to have so many more options and functions available to us. That's a wonderful thing! Just not wonderful on MY computer. That has more to do with my older computer having limited resources than any "fault" of BYC or its staff. And I did say earlier I didn't think a lot of forethought went into the limited system resources many users have, and that wasn't very nice of me... for that, I definitely apologize to the staff. It's like other mods have said, Rob had to make some tough decisions here, and in the end, the website does have more functionality than before. Not everyone is going to be pleased. Not everyone's computers are going to be compatible with the new changes... sadly for me, I'm one of those people.

Hehehe... at least it'll keep me from being on BYC all day while I'm working. My boss will be happy. (grin)

I'm excited about being able at some point to explore the new options available with this upgrade. I just can't enjoy them at this time, until I get a better computer. This one is only 2 years old, but it was a closeout at Fry's and was a holdover they found in the back room from 2008, so technically it's a 4-year-old machine with 4-year-old technology. In this day and age, that practically makes it a dinosaur!

Lots of great discussion and feedback, thanks everybody!

Thanks Kurtis for posting your thoughts, I totally agree.

Keep in mind that we've been lightly evaluating this platform for 11 months, and seriously discussing it behind the scenes amongst the staff for 5 months!

Thousands of emails, phone calls, and forum discussions combined with countless hours researching, due diligence, evaluating, etc. went into this decision. It was not something we just woke up one morning and thought, "Oh, let's change the forum software... that should be easy and a lot of fun!"

Exactly 5 years ago to the day we converted BYC from another platform to the one before this. Many people just as aggressively hated what we did and many wished we hadn't made the change. It's interesting to see now that the system that was fought against is now the one that many are saying they can't do without.

This isn't going to be the best system for all people all the time, but after almost a year of research we decided this was the best fit for where we are and where we want to be.

A huge THANK YOU to everyone who is patiently working with us to answer people's questions and find problems! Our members are what make BYC great, and now is our chance to really shine!

hugs.gif

Last edited:
I apologize as well. I am done whining and will do whatever I can to help.
elevan, kstaven, Kelly, flockwatcher and Nifty have been so positive and helpful. Their tact and patience makes a big difference.
Yes, now that my eyes have ajusted (lol!) I love it! Only thing I don't like is the review column. Oh! For all those people wanting to use bb code, you can!

It isn't an old computer that is likely the issue. A good part of the testers use WINDOWS XP. It is the browser and that can be upgraded at no cost and without changing computers to a newer one.
Thanks, but I cannot change my browser version nor add Chrome to my computer. I telecommute from home for my job, and my work software will not work if I install Chrome or IE9 on my machine. So I'm stuck. Old computer, incompatible job software. My loss.

I'm done explaining and whining. The new website just is slow. I'm not LEAVING... just not gonna be on as much. And if I'm bummed about ANYTHING, it's that I can't check out all the cool new gadgets the website has because it keeps freezing me up.

Mama wants her gadgets! LOL!

Lots of great discussion and feedback, thanks everybody!

Thanks Kurtis for posting your thoughts, I totally agree.

Keep in mind that we've been lightly evaluating this platform for 11 months, and seriously discussing it behind the scenes amongst the staff for 5 months!

Thousands of emails, phone calls, and forum discussions combined with countless hours researching, due diligence, evaluating, etc. went into this decision. It was not something we just woke up and thought, "Oh, let's change the forum software... that should be easy and a lot of fun!"

Exactly 5 years ago to the day we converted BYC from another platform to the one before this. Many people just as aggressively hated what we did and many wished we hadn't made the change. It's interesting to see now that the system that was fought against is now the one that many are saying they can't do without.

This isn't going to be the best system for all people all the time, but after almost a year of research we decided this was the best fit for where we are and where we want to be.

A huge THANK YOU to everyone who is patiently working with us to answer people's questions and find problems! Our members are what make BYC great, and now is our chance to really shine!

hugs.gif

I think many of us have been hanging out with our birds too long. You know how chickens react to change.
gig.gif

Thank you and the staff for putting in so much work to keep BYC up and running.
Hey! I just learned how to quote!!!
ya.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom