A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Feedman....looks to me your lucky to loose only a few chickens. What about those quail? Poor little things....

And Ralph....your lucky too....

We got the same line of storms last night...or this morning...wind actually woke me up. But no damage. Not sure if you saw that line on radar.....it was huge...

Finnie....no idea if that bator is a good deal or not....I'm still jealous your getting Cuddle babies!

Oh man, you guys are all contributing to my hatching addiction!

Now I have no choice but to write to a CL poster! Ralphie, can you give me a list of annoying questions I should ask the guy? (Can you put chicken eggs in it?) Of course, the number one question I get, which I'm assuming there is a law requiring it, "Do you still have this?" But usually only asked by people who you will never hear from again. There is something about "Yes I still have it" that scares them away every time!

Last edited:
Feedman....looks to me your lucky to loose only a few chickens.  What about those quail?  Poor little things....

And Ralph....your lucky too....

We got the same line of storms last night...or this morning...wind actually woke me up.  But no damage.  Not sure if you saw that line on radar.....it  was huge...

Finnie....no idea if that bator is a good deal or not....I'm still jealous your getting Cuddle babies!

I will be sure to post lots of Cuddle baby photos!

For those of you with cabinet incubators, does this one look like it would be worth pursuing?

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/6026297362.html

I really don't need that much capacity, but it seems like a good deal. Assuming it needs a little refurbishing, are these things reliable enough to be worth the investment? Or am I looking at a white elephant deal where I would forever be buying new parts for it?

I'm thinking of spending a couple hundred on a new tabletop. But for the cost of two...

I know some of you have posted about finding used sportsmans.
This is a good deal, assuming it works. Ask them to have it plugged in and up to temp when you get there to pick it up. Bring a cheap thermometer with you and pop it onto the top shelf. As long as it is close to 100F and you can feel the heat blowing toward you when the door is open, buy it!

I paid $450 for one much like this about 2 weeks ago.

For those of you with cabinet incubators, does this one look like it would be worth pursuing?

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/6026297362.html

I really don't need that much capacity, but it seems like a good deal. Assuming it needs a little refurbishing, are these things reliable enough to be worth the investment? Or am I looking at a white elephant deal where I would forever be buying new parts for it?

I'm thinking of spending a couple hundred on a new tabletop. But for the cost of two...

I know some of you have posted about finding used sportsmans.

This is a good deal, assuming it works. Ask them to have it plugged in and up to temp when you get there to pick it up. Bring a cheap thermometer with you and pop it onto the top shelf. As long as it is close to 100F and you can feel the heat blowing toward you when the door is open, buy it!

I paid $450 for one much like this about 2 weeks ago.

Those are great tips! I'll have to remember them if I ever come across another one. Unfortunately, this one is already sold. :(

@finnie If you don't want it pick it up for me...

It looks like that one has the electronic thermostat. I do not like them they are too hard to control. I changed mine out for a cheap (14 bucks) digital one that I love. It most likely has the back up wafer in it but it is not connected. It is there just in case.

The hatcher on the bottom is a joke. I have been trying to figure out a way to slip an extra tray in there. But I cannot find a way for the eggs to turn. It is too narrow for the Turners in the plastic foamies.

I am thinking you buy it and I will bring you several dozen eggs in exchange for it....

@finnie   If you don't want it pick it up for me...

It looks like that one has the electronic thermostat. I do not like them they are too hard to control. I changed mine out for a cheap (14 bucks) digital one that I love.  It most likely has the back up wafer in it but it is not connected. It is there just in case.

The hatcher on the bottom is a joke.  I have been trying to figure out a way to slip an extra tray in there. But I cannot  find a way for the eggs to turn.  It is too narrow for the Turners in the plastic foamies.

I am thinking you buy it and I will bring you several dozen eggs in exchange for it....

Well Ralphie, we missed out on that one, but here is a two-fer:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/6016775606.html

I could buy this set, and since I don't need both of them, I could keep the incubator and you could bring me (many) dozens of eggs for the hatcher!

I have gotten so used to strong winds here, that what I'm about to say seems silly.
Tomorrow we will be having 60 mile an hour wind. It scares the heck out of me how often we have this and stronger. I am thankful that I've yet to deal with the destruction some of you have.
I'm also confused as to why I lost power for several hours this morning when there were not especially strong winds.

It's got a built in hatcher on the bottom? Pretty cool! The only thing is, with the built in hatchers, how do they boost humidity for hatching while maintaining humidity for incubating?

When I had to use the bottom hatcher, I just put random Tupperware dishes and pie pans in it to boost the humidity. It didn't mess with the rest of the incubating eggs at all. That was a one time thing though when I had WAY too many eggs to fit in my hatcher.

Those are great tips! I'll have to remember them if I ever come across another one. Unfortunately, this one is already sold. :(

Check daily. They sell almost as fast as people post them. I think I got mine for $150-200? I can't remember now but it was dirt cheap for them. It's an older, yellow 1202 model but works great.

I have gotten so used to strong winds here, that what I'm about to say seems silly.
Tomorrow we will be having 60 mile an hour wind. It scares the heck out of me how often we have this and stronger. I am thankful that I've yet to deal with the destruction some of you have.
I'm also confused as to why I lost power for several hours this morning when there were not especially strong winds.

Now I have to check the weather since you're not far from me. I didn't hear about the winds. We're set down in a little valley so the winds isn't write as terrible but it really whips through the trees. We had a few snapped and broken last time and a branch through the roof of our run.

Back
Top Bottom