A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Good points Finnie. Since I cleared out the colony we haven't seen any new ones. I understand the spay & release thing. But I'm not spending my money on that. We don't have any free programs here. Plus, I barely have the time to get my chores. Just don't have the time to chauffeur stray cats around. Dropping them at the shelter was my best option.
Personally, I wouldn't do it either. But there is a group around here called Indyferal that does it.

*I have heard some of those types talking, and I could believe that they are the feral ones!

We've lived here for about 10 years. I've had chickens since 2012 and just got 3 turkey poults a few weeks ago. All 3 are Bronze turkeys and it looks like I have 1 tom and 2 hens. So I've latched onto this thread to learn what I can about raising turkeys.
Welcome to the turkey thread!

Yipes... I just realized that if all the broody turkeys hatch eggs I'll be swamped!!
Wow. I can't imagine what it would take to swamp you! Your normal numbers already boggle my mind!

image.jpeg
The new tom is out of quarantine. I saw him try to mate each of the hens one time. He was pretty clumsy, and now I'm pretty sure they are both avoiding him. I think he may be too old. All he did was tread on their backs for a long time. He would start to bend down and then quit and stand back up. Then eventually just get off of them. My only hope is that the real action occurs when I am not around. Otherwise there will be no more poult hatching for me this year.

Anyone want to take a guess on what color variety he is? The only two Phoenix photos I can find on the net do not quite match him. (From Porter's site.) I'm going to have to get some good photos and post him on the Turkey Genetics 101 page.

Personally, I wouldn't do it either. But there is a group around here called Indyferal that does it.

*I have heard some of those types talking, and I could believe that they are the feral ones!
I'm with you guys, I wouldn't spend my money to have them fixed either. The community that does it has a grant & they go out and set traps in the bad areas. If we caught any ( knock on wood, we don't have a problem around here) they would go to the pound.

Welcome to the turkey thread!
Thanks, Finnie. I was looking at your picture of your new Tom and it is hard to believe that my turkeys will ever be that big!

Wow. I can't imagine what it would take to swamp you! Your normal numbers already boggle my mind!

View attachment 1018042 The new tom is out of quarantine. I saw him try to mate each of the hens one time. He was pretty clumsy, and now I'm pretty sure they are both avoiding him. I think he may be too old. All he did was tread on their backs for a long time. He would start to bend down and then quit and stand back up. Then eventually just get off of them. My only hope is that the real action occurs when I am not around. Otherwise there will be no more poult hatching for me this year.

Anyone want to take a guess on what color variety he is? The only two Phoenix photos I can find on the net do not quite match him. (From Porter's site.) I'm going to have to get some good photos and post him on the Turkey Genetics 101 page.

Based on all the other misinformation that you were told by the seller, I would not trust anything that he told you including what variety the tom is. I also strongly suspect the reason he was for sale is because he is a poor breeder. You may want to put turkey saddles on your hens as a protective measure.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom