A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Lots of posts here so hard toget through. Have a friend's chicken setting on 2 turkey eggs (and 4 chicken eggs staggered from the turkeys 5 days) My friend candled them today. The turkeys at day 15 showed air sac and darkness but were afraid her light isn't strong enough to see veins or they're bad. Thoughts turkey people? The chicken eggs are 3 out if 4 developed with movement! All due around 8/2

Keep records!

I am interested in how big they get and feed consumption..
I will certainly make that attempt - especially for you! :lau

You do realize these will not be eaten?

That said, all I know so far is what I've found listed on the internet. NO ONE anywhere around me has any of these - to my knowledge. There are a few who have the small Beltsville white, I think. Most of those people live Hagerstown and points east from me.

My mottled is getting cute little white spots all over in it's new feathers! I'm so happy! It's been so scruffy looking....but the juvie feathers are pretty cool! The penciled has always looked pretty....but that poor mottled was a bit unfortunate looking for awhile!

I will certainly make that attempt - especially for you! :lau

You do realize these will not be eaten?

That said, all I know so far is what I've found listed on the internet. NO ONE anywhere around me has any of these - to my knowledge. There are a few who have the small Beltsville white, I think. Most of those people live Hagerstown and points east from me.
Live weights will have to do until next year

Like Molpet, I live by myself in a rural area. If something happens to me that I can't get to the phone - by hook or crook - then it's too late anyway.

The birds will have already hidden the body.
X2

I tell people that I am not concerned about what happens to me but hope that someone will find the body so the birds won't get stuck without feed and water.

Seems it's still a strong possibility they're viable! And since you're all Turkey people I'm going to share that I'm super excited for these guys!

Theyre a close friends Burboun Reds first to hatch (unfortunately hers weren't viable) and my first turkeys. Plus theyre being hatched and raised by my best friend and her daughters so they'll get to grow up with kids.

She's also setting on a viable frizzle x banty egg and 2 amerecaunas that I'm hoping to cross with my white favorelle x roo. All kinds of ridiculous excitement over here Haha

Seems it's still a strong possibility they're viable! And since you're all Turkey people I'm going to share that I'm super excited for these guys!

Theyre a close friends Burboun Reds first to hatch (unfortunately hers weren't viable) and my first turkeys. Plus theyre being hatched and raised by my best friend and her daughters so they'll get to grow up with kids.

She's also setting on a viable frizzle x banty egg and 2 amerecaunas that I'm hoping to cross with my white favorelle x roo. All kinds of ridiculous excitement over here Haha
@duluthralphie when do you candle your eggs? I rarely bother before day 14.

Ok folks, Got a question for you.... Have you heard of or know anything about Toxoplasma in turkeys?

University of Tennessee has been doing a study on wild birds and have found that 20% have it. They've now expanded their study and want to test private stock that is grass fed to see if there is any cross over.

A quick google search suggests that even though I don't want any extra testing or attention that it may well be prudent to have my birds tested. I'd like your thoughts... People who buy my birds will rarely cook them past 155* internal temp before pulling them out and letting them rest. People who aren't health conscious or foodies would never pay the price for heritage birds.

Ok, I'll admit I'm letting the internet scare me... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom