A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

It seems my sweet Romeo is no longer the leader of the turkey flock :( I think with the penciled girls coming of age, Phil has decided to take the risk and challenge for leadership and Mister, being the second in command, saw his opportunity and just joined with Phil. Romeo is covered in black scabs/patches all down the back of his neck and face and is cowering from the other boys. Phil has a few battle winds but nothing major. I feel so bad for him but I guess that's how it works. Even the younger toms are taking advantage of his hurt pride to assert their dominance. Thankfully, 2 of the younger boys will be gone before too much longer. I think I may move Romeo, Princess, and Duchess to the kennel, especially if the fighting continues. Then I guess they'll just have their own private quarters and I can hatch Palms and mottled blacks.

While I was out there babying Romeo, protecting him and letting him have a handful of food, Baby came over and wiggled in for a hug and attention. Others were trying to push their way in too so she grabbed a hold of my shirt by my shoulder and held on TIGHT! Everyone was pushing and social but she would not let go. She even cried a little bit when she felt like she was getting pushed too far lol. At one point, her neck was stretched as far as it could! I love that girl lol. She escaped the pen yesterday and was running back and forth, flapping and flying, playing and challenging chickens (she adores the chickens). She'd run over to my bedroom window since I was looking out, talk to me for a minute, them for back over to the flock, dance around, then come running back and do it again lol

Of course Romeo could always retire to the south! LOL! And Baby! What a sweetie! I know many of you don't treat your hens as pets....but gosh it's worth it....at least to me. They can be so much fun. I love it when one comes up just wanting attention. Nothing better than a hen hug!!!

I see you got your new handle, Aurora @OneMountainAcres Congrats! So what’s the new business all about, anyway?

I got it :) The business will be mostly hen saddles of course but locally it will be poults and chicks. I'll probably have incubators and other random things available in my online store. DH and I are in the process of making a new website and online store at the moment. I'm going to have other things available too but one thing at a time to get started :)

It seems my sweet Romeo is no longer the leader of the turkey flock :( I think with the penciled girls coming of age, Phil has decided to take the risk and challenge for leadership and Mister, being the second in command, saw his opportunity and just joined with Phil. Romeo is covered in black scabs/patches all down the back of his neck and face and is cowering from the other boys. Phil has a few battle winds but nothing major. I feel so bad for him but I guess that's how it works. Even the younger toms are taking advantage of his hurt pride to assert their dominance. Thankfully, 2 of the younger boys will be gone before too much longer. I think I may move Romeo, Princess, and Duchess to the kennel, especially if the fighting continues. Then I guess they'll just have their own private quarters and I can hatch Palms and mottled blacks.

While I was out there babying Romeo, protecting him and letting him have a handful of food, Baby came over and wiggled in for a hug and attention. Others were trying to push their way in too so she grabbed a hold of my shirt by my shoulder and held on TIGHT! Everyone was pushing and social but she would not let go. She even cried a little bit when she felt like she was getting pushed too far lol. At one point, her neck was stretched as far as it could! I love that girl lol. She escaped the pen yesterday and was running back and forth, flapping and flying, playing and challenging chickens (she adores the chickens). She'd run over to my bedroom window since I was looking out, talk to me for a minute, them for back over to the flock, dance around, then come running back and do it again lol

I think it is fascinating to watch the power shifts. The snood pulling contest I posted the other day resulted in some changes here.

Junior is number two now and I think he had eyes on number three. I think this is the first time I have seen a Jake move up the ranks so fast.

I can tell Junior plans to go to the top because of where he walks in relationship to me. He cuts off the RP Tom that is in first place to follow right behind me on my left. He also is giving the “trill” sound the top Tom normally gives.

As of yet he has not challenged the RP, but I expect it soon. Junior has a huge frame he stands taller than the other birds, but he is a real light weight. When I hold him I am amazed how skinny he still is. Junior is just 8 months old.

I sat on a turned over stock tank and held him yesterday while sitting on the tank. I had two young Toms and the Drama Queen join us on the tank. Another sign Junior is moving up.

I tried to pet the Drama Queen, of course, that set her off on 5 minutes of screaming and yelling at me.

I think she is going to move to @holm25 ’s along with Junior and the Tri-color black. That looks quad colored to me.

Back
Top Bottom