A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

R2elk

Magical, perfect creature
Premium Feather Member
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
Hi all. I have a few turkey pics and a couple of questions.

Is it normal for a bourbon red to have a white chest marking?

SloGin
View attachment 2350908

SloGin and Martini Bat

View attachment 2350909

Martini Bat

View attachment 2350910

This is my black slate out of blue slates - Spook. But is she truly "black"?

View attachment 2350914

View attachment 2350915

Right now I am up to (I think) 28 turkeys. :O
It is not normal for a Bourbon Red to have a white chest. You may want to share that picture with Kevin Porter at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

The Black looks like the blacks that I produced from Blue Slate turkeys. Some companies sell them as blacks and some disreputable companies sell them as Spanish Blacks.

Flashpoint

Crowing
Mar 26, 2012
Near Cumberland, MD
It is not normal for a Bourbon Red to have a white chest. You may want to share that picture with Kevin Porter at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

The Black looks like the blacks that I produced from Blue Slate turkeys. Some companies sell them as blacks and some disreputable companies sell them as Spanish Blacks.
Thanks R2elk - Those two came from eggs bought online - out of Wisconsin. I wasn't sure if it was just juvenile feathers or what - but it doesn't seem to be going away.

The black is sorta "mottled" colored - at least that was my guess. Doesn't surprise me that people would sell them as Spanish Blacks - especially since all the ones I saw were just "black".

Will show Kevin the photo. My sister also bought another bourbon red for me. This is Scarlett.

scarlett1.jpg

scarlett2.jpg

Top Bottom