A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Hello! I had to put my order of Narragansett poults on hold until next year due to having surgery this summer. I'm hoping if we enjoy them to also expand to Slates and Jersey Buffs. I've noticed none of the hatcheries carry the Buffs, and they seem really hard to find. I was just curious why that might be?
I suspect it is because most people prefer Bourbon Reds (bb rr) over Jersey Buffs (BB rr).

Pretty good trick. 2 hatched eggs.
20220701_192759.jpg

3 poults were hiding under the hen
20220701_192836.jpg

Well either there were 3 hatched eggs and she ate the evidence, or twins
Neither. She had a single bad egg that I disposed of. I took two eggs from the hen that had five eggs the last time I checked. Candled them to make sure they were viable and gave them to her. She rewarded me by biting my hand.

The two eggs she hatched resulted in 2 poults. The hen that I took those eggs from hatched the three eggs that she had. She only has two poults. Somehow this hen managed to get one of the three poults that the other hatched..

Always love seeing a hen teaching her poults. Didn't let any hens have any of their poults this year missed seeing that interaction.
I stole those two from her and gave them to the hen in the grow out pen. She cried for awhile then went back to her nest and hatched the egg she had abandoned.

I know a million factors can impact things, but as we move towards raising 100% of the poultry we eat between chickens and heritage turkeys, I was wondering on what my expectations might be around free ranging hens safely hatching and raising healthy poults? If we're aiming to keep a breeding flock (1:10? 1:5?), and planning to process 10-20 birds/year, how many toms and hens do people recommend if the goal is to avoid incubation? How do you protect the babies from the toms? How do you keep outdoor poults healthy from coccidiosis? How often do you rotate breeding stock?

We'll be providing shelter and year round food and water. We're in WI, so snow is a factor. We have 13.5 acres, and are actively working on culling problem racoons. Coyotes, foxes, and possibly raptors will be the other primary challenge.

There seems to be so much less information on homesteading for turkeys than chickens.

Back
Top Bottom