A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

My mother said I am not allowed to get any ratites, because they can get mean. And gut you with their feet. I'm 35 years old.... but still, she's probably more worried about the children.

My mother said I am not allowed to get any ratites, because they can get mean. And gut you with their feet. I'm 35 years old.... but still, she's probably more worried about the children.

I would love to have ratites, but I do not have the fences for them. The cost is prohibitive to me. I will not be having birds long term. I know in a few years I need to get rid of them as I move closer to the front of the line to walk into the light.

When the WWD retires I will most likely wean myself down to a small layer flock that I can keep happy in the coop and run if I want to go away without having to have someone check on them daily.

Now if I knew I had another 30-40 years that would change it all.

I do not mean this to sound like a downer, just the way it is.

Ralph you have a unique way of imparting your wisdom. I've been very much aware of my own mortality here of late.The last 6 months have been rough for me healthwise.
The birds give me something to focus on. I told my wife,It doesn't matter how bad my day has been or how bad that I feel,when I sit down in my chair and start watching the birds I start smiling.

This morning one of my BBB turkeys was limping. I suspect she landed wrong. She is 4 months old. Should I give her the axe?

Check her chest to make sure she does not get a bruise or fluid on it. Sometimes the breast bone area will bruise when they land hard. Also look at the foot for any sign of bumblefoot.

If you find bumble foot, I think she should be invited to dinner, you do not want it to get infected and spread through the meat.

If the breast is bruised watch it. It can get a cyst-like inflammation or a sac of fluid. It can be drained. I have done that. I had one have that happen last year. When I took his head and cleaned him I saw the fluid was clearly contained in a sac between the skin and the muscle. It came right off and left a good carcass. We ate the bird with no problems, but I would never sell it to anyone else.

At 4 months there is not a lot of meat on them. But no sense wasting any of it.

Ralph you have a unique way of imparting your wisdom. I've been very much aware of my own mortality here of late.The last 6 months have been rough for me healthwise.
The birds give me something to focus on. I told my wife,It doesn't matter how bad my day has been or how bad that I feel,when I sit down in my chair and start watching the birds I start smiling.

Me too. but 6-10 birds would do the same thing, just as the bird feeder does in the morning during my 3 hour coffee time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom