A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Way off topic here,,,,BUT

I had a hatch today,,(surprise, surprise, surprise!)...

I hatched 10 CLB eggs so far from my ones that can have white sports. I got 4 out of 10 and it appears a 5th is unzipping now!

Wow, I feel like I've been doing nothing - everyone else has babies and upcoming testing. I've just been cleaning the barn and a bunch of other unexciting chores :rolleyes: Coco is starting to look like she might be getting over her broodiness, a few more days and I'll probably turn her loose. She doesn't hiss anymore so I'm thinking we might be in the home stretch. She's been chirping at the rest of the girls as they wander around the tractor she's in. I just want to see her put some weight back on now.

Feedman & Ralph - the required baby pictures are coming soon??

Memphis - how are you doing? Starting to feel any better?

JR - glad George is doing better, sounds like he may be a good pet :)

Hey folks. Well this whole mangled right arm thing is a huge PITA! For 4 days i had a pain pump dangling off my sling. About the size of a softball. My turkey girls were extremely leary of it. Everytime id lean over it would swing. Glad its gone. The girls are finally getting used to the cast. Funny how the chickens could care less, but the turkeys had to investigate the whole situation.

Post pics folks!

Memphis-I bet they're glad that scary pump is gone! Hope you recover quickly and get rid of your cast before too long. I've had a broken arm in the past and the huge cast truely is a PITA. My break wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours though.

I'm winding down my hatching season here. My last hatch is due this weekend. They were supposed to go into lockdown yesterday but I didn't get a chance to move them which means I may find one last poult in the bottom of the 1202 lol. Instead, my canning season has begun, WAY earlier than usual. We found a sale going on with potatoes. 5lb bags of red potatoes for 10 cents. We left with 165 lbs. I came up 62 quarts yesterday, 14 the day before and I have 9 bags left to finish off today. Hubby wants to get more tomorrow since we'll be back in town which means I'll be busting my butt the rest of the week. Canning in June isn't fun but you can't pick when you find a deal that can't be beat.

The mottled black babies are getting big. The boys are almost as big as my full grown hens now and the girls are becoming affectionate cuddle bugs. If I sit on the log in their run, I always end up with 2 on my lap, sometimes one on my shoulder, one is always on the back half of the log behind me and then Eve comes over and gives me pitiful looks because they're all in her spot lol. The 2 palms that I have though are not very social. Princess is falling under the tolerant category. She won't willingly come to me but if I get a hold of her she won't fight to get away. Queenie (the little palm from the swap) is very much anti social. She runs away and panics if you catch her. Hopeefully she'll grow out of that but I'm kinda doubting it.

Hope everything is going well with everyone. Good luck with all upcoming testing and hatching!

Hey folks. Well this whole mangled right arm thing is a huge PITA! For 4 days i had a pain pump dangling off my sling. About the size of a softball. My turkey girls were extremely leary of it. Everytime id lean over it would swing. Glad its gone. The girls are finally getting used to the cast. Funny how the chickens could care less, but the turkeys had to investigate the whole situation.

Post pics folks!

Had you allowed Dr Ralphie to do the surgery the cast would be a non-starter....

Aurora I am winding down too, I am not even sure how many more White sports I will go for, maybe one more hatch of them.

Because you really can't have enough of them.

R2elk, I did something dumb and did not listen too you!

I am sorry.

I did not run and get distilled water for the auto moisture system. The hole plugged up at just the wrong time. I had 3 eggs that had not hatched last night. One was the white sport, the other two were just CLB's. This morning the 2 CLBs are doing good. The white sport was stuck to the back 1/4 (roughly) of the shell. It looks like she (being optimistic) broke out and stopped to sleep while still in the shell like many of them do and the shell dried to her butt and leg.

I got the shell off her with warm water and cleaned her with a toothbrush. She seems to be doing fine and does not seem to have a wry leg from the incidence. Now I am going to descale the tube and hole for the float and buy gallons of distilled water.

We have a larger reverse osmosis system. I think I will try to save up water from it for the incubators. That should be the same as distilled, shouldn't it? Otherwise it is off to Walmart to get a truck load of water.

R2elk, I did something dumb and did not listen too you!

I am sorry.

I did not run and get distilled water for the auto moisture system. The hole plugged up at just the wrong time. I had 3 eggs that had not hatched last night. One was the white sport, the other two were just CLB's. This morning the 2 CLBs are doing good. The white sport was stuck to the back 1/4 (roughly) of the shell. It looks like she (being optimistic) broke out and stopped to sleep while still in the shell like many of them do and the shell dried to her butt and leg.

I got the shell off her with warm water and cleaned her with a toothbrush. She seems to be doing fine and does not seem to have a wry leg from the incidence. Now I am going to descale the tube and hole for the float and buy gallons of distilled water.

We have a larger reverse osmosis system. I think I will try to save up water from it for the incubators. That should be the same as distilled, shouldn't it? Otherwise it is off to Walmart to get a truck load of water.

To initially get the plug cleared you can try to blow through the tubing and then follow that up with a vinegar treatment to dissolve the scale.

R/O water should be just as good as distilled water.

Ive had problems CONSISTENTLY with the humidity on these eggs. I will know in another week if it pans out

The automatic humidity doohickey is the only way to go, in my hatcher I use 4 sponges and it stays perfect in the incubator I use none.

I am going to be building my own hatchers for next year and I will be building a automatic system of my own design kind of knocking off the principals QGF uses..Sorry QGF... But it will be enough different to get around the patents...
lau.gif

I am going to use the floats I got in my waterers.

Back
Top Bottom