A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Meat bird breeding is fun, I think I stumbled on the perfect bird but time will tell.

I had to lock the turkey hen with the 2 BA chicks up yesterday. I had some guys here doing some cement work and every time they got within 50 ft of her she went on the attack. She is by far the nastiest Mother hen I have ever had. I went to put water in the one pen she happened to be in last night and I got ran out of it. If there is ever a turkey wrassling contest I think she would be winner of it.

The funny thing is her size. she is one of my smallest hens, I doubt she would dress out to 8 pounds. She is smaller than most my roosters. I know she means business as I still have the scar from our last run in.

Sounds like what you're saying is have a dedicated pen for momma Turkey.lol I had an escape from the brooder yesterday. One of the poults took me by surprise with how fast they can move and fly. Took 30 minutes crawling on my hands and knees under the house with a net to catch him

Sounds like what you're saying is have a dedicated pen for momma Turkey.lol I had an escape from the brooder yesterday. One of the poults took me by surprise with how fast they can move and fly. Took 30 minutes crawling on my hands and knees under the house with a net to catch him

Poults can fly like sparrow when they want! Not at all like a CX that lumbers around.

Ralph do they go crazy with everyone and everything when they have chicks? Hate to have a situation like i had with the geese. Can't have them killing chickens
sad.png

Mine have never killed chicks. Some hens go crazy, some like Ethel just get very nervous. She did hit the fence when the stupid dog refused to stay back yesterday though. I have never seen them killing a chick, yet. That is not to say they wouldn't. But then again I raise mine with the chickens.

My 2 hens get nervous about people coming on, but they let us handle the poults alright. They don't like it though. They will attack any other bird nearby. And if the dog comes near, they go nuts trying to hurt her.

They don't want to be in your lap per se, but the Tom wants to lean up against any lady that comes into the yard. All the turkeys know where their bread is buttered, the meatie turkeys especially follow close, assuming that i might have something edible. They get mad when I hug em though, and scream bloody murder if I pick them up. So, they are friendly, like petting, but don't like being carried or cuddled on laps. Except Esther's Jelmaro. That one likes cuddling.

Back
Top Bottom