A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Thanks feistychick so they do lay eggs on a somewhat daily basis? Sorry to ask silly questions I just need to know what to expect. We got our turkeys first week of May and they were supposedly about 2 weeks old. They are bigger than the chickens already but haven't heard or seen any gender specific actions so don't know what we have yet. Hope to know soon so we can get a ton if we don't have one already. If you can think of any info that I need to know about raising these two please feel free to tell me!! This is totally new to us so the more help from you all the better off we will be. Thanks for all you have helped with already. Hope to hear back

Thanks feistychick so they do lay eggs on a somewhat daily basis? Sorry to ask silly questions I just need to know what to expect. We got our turkeys first week of May and they were supposedly about 2 weeks old. They are bigger than the chickens already but haven't heard or seen any gender specific actions so don't know what we have yet. Hope to know soon so we can get a ton if we don't have one already. If you can think of any info that I need to know about raising these two please feel free to tell me!! This is totally new to us so the more help from you all the better off we will be. Thanks for all you have helped with already. Hope to hear back

I can totally relate to the "need to know" part of it. Everyone on here has been wonderful about answering all of my silly questions :). I'm just into my second summer with turkeys - and it has been a learning experience lol. If you can get clear pictures of your turkey's heads and neck (for head shape and snood size) and the feathers on the breast area of the birds - there are many peeps on here who may be able to make fairly educated guesses about gender. Sometimes it's just hard to tell - and then you get to wait until they gobble :lau. Toms can be easier to find if you need one - as most people only want one or two and end up with extras for sale. I think you'll be safe enough without turkey nest areas until late winter. Mine started laying in late January/early Feb (but my climate is a bit warmer I suspect). Mine lay daily or every other day so far (much like most of my chickens). I have to leave a fake egg in the turkey nest box or they wouldn't lay their eggs in it (which seemed weird to me - but it works). I've heard that they will lay until fall, but I haven't experienced them stopping for winter yet. My toms were fine being housed with the chickens until they matured and started trying to mate some of my chicken hens because my turkey hens weren't interested in them yet.

Turkeys will surprise you regularly and they have such cool personalities - I think you'll have lots of fun raising them. Everyone on here is really great about answering questions for us "new turkey folks".

Back
Top Bottom