A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Ya'll...what am I going to do if my hens go broody? I'm starting to obsess about it. I hate to think I'll be spending all summer in the Broody Turkey Hen Boxing arena. I have visions of me fighting with them all summer!

You think a broody turkey hen is tough. Wait until you see one with Babies!

Even Ethel is kind of an untrusting female dog when she has babies. She gets mad at me often then.

Well see, thats just it....I get broody hens occasionally. Even if they are jerks, I can deal with them. But a big strong turkey hen....I've had bruises from them accidently hitting me with their wings. Can you break a broody turkey hen....has anyone gone there before??

Ya'll...what am I going to do if my hens go broody?  I'm starting to obsess about it.  I hate to think I'll be spending all summer in the Broody Turkey Hen Boxing arena.  I have visions of me fighting with them all summer!

1-2 of my girls try to go broody at a time off & on all summer. I just steal eggs daily & put them in the bator. Until they are actually sitting on an entire clutch of eggs & settled in they are pretty easy to move & steal eggs from. The key is to just keep making them move & stealing eggs several times per day. Eventually they give up & start laying again. My girls usually give up within a week.

I am not sure if I told you guys this story or not. If I did I apologize for repeating myself.

Last summer, I gave blue some chicken eggs to hatch. She did a great job and hatched them in only 21 days!

She kind of kept them back in her nest for a couple days. He nest was in the lean too, She let some hens (chicken) into the area but not too close. Roosters and Tom were not allowed close to her.

When she let them wander around the lean too, we were sitting with our backs to the lean too. We would look at the chicks but did not want to look directly at them and tick her off. (I know what Turkey hens are like!)..

Ed my PC rooster walked over towards the door to the lean too. She came out of their at about 40 MPH! Chasing Ed as fast as he could run. ED ran by JJ. JJ had not even been close to the lean too. She changed her sites to JJ.

Poor JJ ran for his life! He ran by Sidekick. Sidekick is not as bright as he should be. He stood there looking stupid (which he is) and Blue hit him with both feet into his chest. Now when this occurred even Sidekick figured he should take off. And take of he did. He ran a straight line away from her.

Unfortunately, Blackie was crossing in behind Sidekick and in front of Blue. Blue picked up Blackie as the evil run. Blackie ran, he is smarter than Sidekick.

Blackie ran by Reagan, my white Lab. She was lying on her back with a bone toy in her mouth rolling it around with her front paws. She was completely ignoring the chickens, turkeys and blue. Blackie ran by Reagan.

Blue saw Reagan and figured she was to blame for her perceived wrongs. She jumped up in the air about 7 ft! WAY UP! and came down claws out right into Reagans exposed underbelly! Then Up again and down on Reagan's belly again. Reagan was in shock. She just watched this happening with a "what the H-E double hockey sticks happened?" look.

Blue was happy now she strolled away having righted the wrong. Then went and check on her chicks. We laughed so hard! Poor Reagan even when she walked away did nothing, just looked puzzled.

We thought Reagan would tackle her, but it never happened.

This Memphis is what you have to look forward too.

Ya'll...what am I going to do if my hens go broody?  I'm starting to obsess about it.  I hate to think I'll be spending all summer in the Broody Turkey Hen Boxing arena.  I have visions of me fighting with them all summer!

Keep taking eggs and hope they don't. I have not had one that hasn't gone broody.

If you can keep them close and find nest switch out eggs for fertile chicken eggs let them brood those. If you don't have a tom and you want some chickies.

Wow, sounds scary! Maybe a baseball bat for the grandkids to defend themselves. lol

You have politically correct turkeys???

OH NO!!

My grand kids love JJ. He is their favorite. They talk about him as if he was their best friend. They come here and they want to run and hug JJ. JJ eats it up. BUT I never let them near JJ without my being there. A Male animal can never be trusted now matter how friendly he is.

The kids are too close in size to JJ and if his testosterone is high he could attack.. The turkeys really are friendly, this was just a very nervous first time mother.

Keep taking eggs and hope they don't. I have not had one that hasn't gone broody.

If you can keep them close and find nest switch out eggs for fertile chicken eggs let them brood those. If you don't have a tom and you want some chickies.

At some point they will sit on the single nest egg. All of mine have went broody at some point. ( I use the ceramic nest eggs) ONE per nest.

Checked Porter's website. My mystery poult most closely resembles a slate sweetgrass. This shall be an interesting breeding year.
1f609.png

Checked Porter's website. My mystery poult most closely resembles a slate sweetgrass. This shall be an interesting breeding year.
1f609.png

It shall!

Holm and I are headed to about 30 different birds colors! Then JJ will have 27 of his own. It should be fun. I need a couple rusty slates this year. Along with some mottled. I am also hoping to get a bourbon red hen!

My Dw thinks all the scribbling and printouts from the turkey calculator on the dining room table is junk! Silly woman!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom