A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I must say, I'm so impressed with all of our hens. Pebbles, Big Bird, Ethel, Annie, Daisy, Mars. All of these girls came from such varied backgrounds, yet they've all turned into such sweeties! It's so interesting to me how they want to bond with humans. The more I learn about turkeys the more impressed I am.

I must say, I'm so impressed with all of our hens. Pebbles, Big Bird, Ethel, Annie, Daisy, Mars. All of these girls came from such varied backgrounds, yet they've all turned into such sweeties! It's so interesting to me how they want to bond with humans. The more I learn about turkeys the more impressed I am.

I was in the coop last night and there was a young hen in there by herself. She was flighty but not overly. I reached out and touched her a couple times and she did not go completely nutso over it. I think I could have her turn into a tolerant if not a lapper. While I was holding Ethel Ethel Jr was watching and walking kind of towards me.

SO I think turkeys are just not afraid of people and maybe the reason they are like dogs to me, is because they are a flock animal. Like dogs are a pack animal and they consider us a part of their flock. Just a guess.

My royal Palm hen is sitting on 17 eggs... What are the chances of poults hatching on a broody' s first year.

Having a rough mode of this morning :/. Woke up to a freak accident in the one brooder. I lost one of the two week old poults. Apparently, it had jumped up on top of the water fount, slipped, got its leg caught in the handle and died. These guys are out in the screen porch and the water fount is not near the heat lamp. Poor lurks thing had a bloody wing like it had been struggling to get loose and just couldn't. I felt horrible. I removed the handle so that can't happen again.

Then, as I'm letting the dogs out to pee, I hear this awful sound coming from the chicken coop. I go look and my favorite hen is wheezing. She sounds like she's having an asthma attack. I started a thread in the emergencies section if anyone wants to check it out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1080511/wheezing-hen#post_16512625
She's still wheezing and hanging out in the living room on a chair. I have to pick up some vet rx later today to try to help her. Even hubby was saying this morning that when it rains, it pours :/

My royal Palm hen is sitting on 17 eggs... What are the chances of poults hatching on a broody' s first year.

How old is she? what month did she hatch in?

How long has she been sitting? Are there any distraction around her? First time sitters are so iffy. Any little thing seems to distract them. I try to avoid them, give them lots of feed close by and water and only check on here every couple days.

I would have an incubator up and running incase she abandons her eggs. When she hatches and leaves the nest run and grab the unhatched eggs, put them in the incubator Turkeys seem to leave the nest before they all hatch.

The other side of there run is nice and dry with no mud. They think its necessary to hang out in the muddy part
hu.gif
My son named the hen Miss Cleo (since the other Cleo died) and the tom he named Ham Head.

How old is your son Chaos?

My Grand daughter named this little guy "andy"

Aurora Poop happens with baby birds. We lost two last year, we are slow learners they would get a wing stuck under the feeder opening and get stuck and die. Took us two to figure out the feeder was a poor design, We retired that feeder. Good luck on your hen..

How old is your son Chaos?

My Grand daughter named this little guy "andy"

Aurora Poop happens with baby birds. We lost two last year, we are slow learners they would get a wing stuck under the feeder opening and get stuck and die. Took us two to figure out the feeder was a poor design, We retired that feeder. Good luck on your hen..

He's 6. He's named most of our birds. Of the Doms I have there's a Joe, Denver & Bronco the others don't have names yet.

How old is she? what month did she hatch in?

How long has she been sitting?  Are there any distraction around her?   First time sitters are so iffy. Any little thing seems to distract them.  I try to avoid them, give them lots of feed close by and water and only check on here every couple days.

I would have an incubator up and running incase she abandons her eggs. When she hatches and leaves the nest run and grab the unhatched eggs, put them in the incubator Turkeys seem to leave the nest before they all hatch.

I am not completely sure how old she is but I know she is under a year old. She has been sitting for about... eh maybe 4-5 days. There aren't a lot of distractions she has been sitting practically nonstop. Sometimes I have to force her off the nest to stretch her legs. When she does get up though another one of my hens just comes and takes her place. They are all the same age, I have two other hens and a Tom. I tend to check on her everyday, she doesn't mind me coming near and I often give her a handful of feed and I offer her water. I have my incubator already up and ready just in case

Back
Top Bottom