A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Sorry, my pictures are dark. Everyone is hanging out under the Sweeter Heaters. Had to hang 2 with so many.

Notice the 2 SS chicks. One's a blondie and one's a chipmunk. So far, all my blondies have been male. .

My flipper snoozing on his Smart Wool sock.

Have you ever tried to figure out the social structure and pecking order of the Guineas?

I have decided they are all nuts and a coup in leadership can happen at any moment. Retired leader are not given a pension but sent to Guinea heaven it appears.

They always say that guineas are a flock bird but it seems that their behavior is more like that of a pack animal. They will often gang up on a flock member that falls out of favor.

There are no retired leaders, only deposed and exiled leaders that often do not survive long after being deposed. There can be extreme fights between evenly matched males but usually the fights are at least 2 against 1.

Different color varieties can have different types of personalities. My Coral Blue guinea cocks are by far the most aggressive guineas that I have.

It is also not unusual for guineas to practice discrimination (turkeys also can practice discrimination). That one looks different from us, we better run it off (real guinea thinking).

I have real similar pictures,,,

I took these today.

Well, we can see most of them clearly, so good job! Between the chicks moving and the camera never cooperating, I'm lucky to get anything. I don't know how some people take such cute pictures, with them standing still on a nice backdrop. They must not have 5 dogs drooling beside the brooder.

They always say that guineas are a flock bird but it seems that their behavior is more like that of a pack animal. They will often gang up on a flock member that falls out of favor.

There are no retired leaders, only deposed and exiled leaders that often do not survive long after being deposed. There can be extreme fights between evenly matched males but usually the fights are at least 2 against 1.

Different color varieties can have different types of personalities. My Coral Blue guinea cocks are by far the most aggressive guineas that I have.

It is also not unusual for guineas to practice discrimination (turkeys also can practice discrimination). That one looks different from us, we better run it off (real guinea thinking).

Horses can be that way too, on color and species. For that matter, so can some dogs.

Gevshiba...your right about dog descrimination! My aussies don't have tails. Anything with a tail is to be scoffed at!

Ralph that close up is calendar material! Ya'lls pictures are great! I'm going to add a few chick's in May. Showing too much right now to deal with them. It's killing me!

R2elk....loved the goose story! Amazing.

Gevshiba...your right about dog descrimination! My aussies don't have tails. Anything with a tail is to be scoffed at!

Ralph that close up is calendar material! Ya'lls pictures are great! I'm going to add a few chick's in May. Showing too much right now to deal with them. It's killing me!

R2elk....loved the goose story! Amazing.

That Aussie bumper sticker that says real dogs don't have tails? I agreed, so I got my Shibas a Boston Terrier.
lol.png

Hi All. Lots of reading to catch up on Always... been busy even in this cold weather, trying to reroof the top of a barn not an easy job but atleast im not doing this project by myself.. I had a chicken die yesterday. I went to coop to open door and poor Lucy was laying on bottom of roost i didnt know if she was just laying there so i walked up to pet her and realized she was dead.. Poor thing she was just fine the day before not sure what happened.. So now im down to 5 layers and only 2 EE.. Ive been on a Turkey hunt last couple days Porter the turkey and his 3 girls i got from Ralphie finally got some freedom. I finally let them out of their pen to free range and they decided to go roaming. i finally found them (minus 1 girl) yesterday about a mile away. they found themselves a swamp area. Loads of fun that was trying to get them home. I was hopping streams going through thorn bushes, Lost my boot when it sank in the mud i had to put my bare foot in the mud so i could get enough leverage to pull the boot out,,, that was loads of fun yes my vocabulary by this point wasnt the best.. I was swearing at Ralphie to come get his Da*n turkeys or let the coyotes eat them...i was hoping he heard me from 15 miles away... LOL...So they are finally home and in their coop and on lockdown for about 2 more wks...

I sorry I would personally love all your story's about every animal on the planet. I am not bothered about work that was given to the planet earth regarding any animal. Love to learn about all of it.

Gevshiba & Ralph - those are some awesome chick pics! I'm still holding strong about not getting any this year (DH has been the only one allowed in the feed store this spring). I'm hoping that I can hold out long enough to get through chick season. Maybe next year :)

Coffee - OMG that sounds like quite the turkey adventure. I can just imagine how colourful my language would have been in that situation..... :duc. Sorry to hear about your hen :(

R2Elk - I can't believe you had geese. I've been working on my DH, but no success so far - maybe I'll tell him how good they are at guarding (the dogs sure aren't).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom