A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Gevshiba: snakes are bad this year. I have dispatched several.

Finnie: your poults are cute impressing daddy. Foe your hen that lays under the pen I would let her build up that nest with eggs and see if she sets. They won't miss one or 2 eggs added or taken away just don't move them all. But each hen has a magic number in their mind before they set.

Ralphie: not sure about hens laying back in pen. If i open the gates for my hens that are laying they head for pasture or fencerow. Like the open sky I guess. I'm on the other side of the coin I have hens I can't get to not being broody. I put 4 guinea eggs that should hatch tomorrow under her to hope she breaks. She's looking terrible.

Memphis: it's hot in. Mo. So expect terrible heat if you make it st. Genevieve. Glad your girls like the pool.

Last year I couldn't get a royal palm to hatch and survive. But had excellent hatches of bourbon reds. This year is the opposite. Wanted to expand bourbon flock. Think I'm down to 8 poults. Have 8 palms I saved back but have hatched close to 60 palms. Have only hatched 20 bourbons.

All late deaths in incubation or live a week or so and die. Had a 2 week old fine last night dead this morning showed no signs of being ill.
Originally Posted by Finnie

Sorry about your two week old, R2Elk. That's sad.

The chickens are kicking around Muffin's eggs under the coop. It is their dirt bath, after all. Today Muffin laid her egg in the grass between the pen and the house. Not a place she can sit, but I left it there just the same.
It was @feedman77 that lost his 2 week old poult, not me.

Gonna be a hot one here today. Heat index over 100. Oh well. Birds are in shade with fans & wading pools. Feedman, I passed on heading to Ste. Gen this weekend.

R2elk...I sure hope you enter some of your photos for inclusion in the calendar. They are just wonderful.

Ralphie...how is your tree hugger?

I took a picture of the SS in the tree.. I have to go check for sure, I have been so busy and assumed it was Lizzie. When I looked at the picture this morning, I am not so sure, it could be Margaret. I know you will find this hard to believe but they look almost alike and it is only by missing feathers and behavior that I can tell them apart. I should put a second band on Lizzie just to make sure who is whom...

Here is the picture of Lizzie or Margaret in the tree, on her nest.

I have found the perfect way to secure her in the tree, I will show you pictures later today when I take some. It will be a PITA because it means locking her in every night and letting her get out if she wants every day..

As far as getting the chicks out of the tree. I do not think she thought that far ahead. I plan to just pour some wood chip in the hole and make a ramp for them when they are ready to come out.

Gonna be a hot one here today. Heat index over 100. Oh well. Birds are in shade with fans & wading pools. Feedman, I passed on heading to Ste. Gen this weekend.

R2elk...I sure hope you enter some of your photos for inclusion in the calendar. They are just wonderful.

Ralphie...how is your tree hugger?

Going to be hot here too, but the morning is perfect..

I agree on R2elk's pictures they are fantastic!

Ralph...how cute is she? I'm still amazed she found that spot. They are hard to tell apart. And their feather pattern changes after a molt. Confusing the issue further. Can't wait to see what you rig up for her.

R2elk could fill his own calendar!

Ralph...how cute is she? I'm still amazed she found that spot. They are hard to tell apart. And their feather pattern changes after a molt. Confusing the issue further. Can't wait to see what you rig up for her.

R2elk could fill his own calendar!

Between him and Holm they sure could. Taking those kind of photos is a talent I do not have. I am more, which is it Left brain? Not very creative, more linear in my thought process.

Your right about Holm....now I'd buy a calendar filled with those guys pictures!

Your right about mornings. Best time of the day. Already watered, taking a coffee break. Both turkey hens are perched on the back railing looking in the window. Starting tonight it's not going below 80 at night. That's tough when it stays so warm at night. Doesn't give the girls much of a break from the heat. I start worrying about my older birds in this heat.

Hey...my old SS layer her weekly egg yesterday. Saw her come out of the coop last night. She ran over to me & did her egg song standing at my feet...guess she wanted to be sure I knew she wasn't slacking!

Just read this on one of my news feeds. Guy in Oregon stole a bike outside of Walmart. Bikes owner & several other folks were running after him. Guy gets his horse out of a trailer, trots after the theif & ropes him around the ankle. There is a picture of the thief on the ground with his arms around a tree, rope on this ankle being held taunt by the guy on his horse. Cowboy says he ropes cattle for a living...no big deal. How cool is this?

Your right about Holm....now I'd buy a calendar filled with those guys pictures!

Your right about mornings. Best time of the day. Already watered, taking a coffee break. Both turkey hens are perched on the back railing looking in the window. Starting tonight it's not going below 80 at night. That's tough when it stays so warm at night. Doesn't give the girls much of a break from the heat. I start worrying about my older birds in this heat.

Hey...my old SS layer her weekly egg yesterday. Saw her come out of the coop last night. She ran over to me & did her egg song standing at my feet...guess she wanted to be sure I knew she wasn't slacking!

They are so weird... I was holding Lizzie the other day. She seems to think, or did before going broody, that I need to hold her daily. I was petting her and rubbing under he wing she seems to like that. all of a sudden she squatted down a tad on my knee and raised her tail feathers like she would for a rooster.

I explained to her I di not love her in that way. She was quite hurt.

I have had my first coffee so I am going out to check water and grab a picture of the "lizzie protective device".

Just read this on one of my news feeds. Guy in Oregon stole a bike outside of Walmart. Bikes owner & several other folks were running after him. Guy gets his horse out of a trailer, trots after the theif & ropes him around the ankle. There is a picture of the thief on the ground with his arms around a tree, rope on this ankle being held taunt by the guy on his horse. Cowboy says he ropes cattle for a living...no big deal. How cool is this?

He should just drag him back to Walmart and wait for the cops to give him a ride to jail....

Back
Top Bottom