A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Ok as I had mentioned before my wife got some new Broad Breasted Bronze back in April, Mars raised them until she passed away, well when she died they were as hurt as any of us. One little Jake started trying to sleep on Mars' bed well now that I chased him outside with the chickens he has to come pick a fight with me everyday. I've watched turkeys enough to know how they fight and know it can get ugly, so anyway he comes up starts grabbing my fingers and what not so I tap the back of head with a finger and grab the scruff of his neck usually sends him into submission but this is an everyday thing.

Do you folks think he's mad at me for chasing him out with the chickens or is he still hurt by the loss of Mars (as I am) and lashing out?

Do you feed him treats from your hand? If you do, stop.

You must immediately start dominating him. Make him want to respect and keep his distance from you. You must hold him, tip him over rub his belly, every time you see him walk right through him making him move way from you. with him standing on the ground grab his head and push it towards the ground and holds it there, cover his eyes.

I know some will think this is cruel to do to their poor pet turkey, if you do not this Tom could hurt someone.

It is either do this kind of stuff or make him a dinner guest.

Ok I have a tom who is almost two months old and after hearing some story's about family who has had toms how can I keep him from becoming agressive. My neighbor said there was a tom up the road and it would come down and would attack the cars and would chase after you then. And then my mom as a kid had two turkeys one was a hen and one was a tom the tom they said would come down and wait for the bus and wouldn't let the kids off and sit there and attack the tires on the bus. So is there any way you can help keep a tom from being agressive.

I don't feed them from my hands never have not even with Mars. We do feed them the occasional treat but it's always on the ground unless someone is doing something behind my back.

I grab his snood and pull gently while shaking just like another turkey would (except for the gentle part). I grab the back of his head and neck and shake or pin him, and something that really made him submit the other night was grab his waddle from underneath and pull. That made him duck his head and hide from me

Maybe a little less gentle is required. it is better he hate and fear you than you fear him and need to cull him.

My preemies:

And it is time to play Guess this bird's color!!!

The one farthest from the camera will be a slate of some kind I have highlight what I think he could be in blue

The one closest to the camera has a lot of red in it. He is harder, I have turned my guesses for him into red.

JJ is the Daddy, a rusty lavender is the Mommy

06.25 Male Rusty Slate
Male Rusty Lavender
Female Rusty Slate
Female Rusty Lavender
03.125 Male Slate Edged Jersey Buff Semi-
03.125 Male Semi-Jersey Buff Slate
03.125 Male Rusty Self Blue Semi-Slate
03.125 Male Lavender Red Bronze
03.125 Male Jersey Buff Slate Semi-
03.125 Male Blue Red Bronze
03.125 Male Barred Slate
03.125 Male Barred Self Blue
03.125 Female Slate Edged Jersey Buff Semi-
03.125 Female Semi-Jersey Buff Slate
03.125 Female Rusty Self Blue Semi-Slate
03.125 Female Lavender Red Bronze
03.125 Female Jersey Buff Slate Semi-
03.125 Female Blue Red Bronze
03.125 Female Barred Slate
03.125 Female Barred Self Blue
01.5625 Male Slate Edged Jersey Buff
01.5625 Male Slate Edged Bourbon Red
01.5625 Male Slate
01.5625 Male Self Blue
01.5625 Male Red Slate
01.5625 Male Lilac
01.5625 Male Lavender Edged Bourbon Red
01.5625 Male Jersey Buff Slate
01.5625 Female Slate Edged Jersey Buff
01.5625 Female Slate Edged Bourbon Red
01.5625 Female Slate
01.5625 Female Self Blue
01.5625 Female Red Slate
01.5625 Female Lilac
01.5625 Female Lavender Edged Bourbon Red
01.5625 Female Jersey Buff Slate

Last edited:
You make me jealous with those little guys. Since I've never even seen half of those color combinations I can't make even a dumb guess.

Having a bird fear me is a bit on the strange side. Granted none of the turkeys I had before Mars an Jupiter lived through the summer usually coyotes and other predators would clean me out but neither Mars or Jupiter feared me and neither offered to attack anyone except a grasshopper or a piece of white paper (funny memories there) Mars was so imprinted that she would get mad at me if I left and wouldn't talk to me for a couple days when I got back. I hadn't given any thought to them being overly imprinted

I'll take a guess.

Female: slate edged jersey buff.

Edit: the poult is showing the slate gene in the face. I'm not seeing any bronze characteristics showing. So I ruled out anything bronze in name.

Last edited:
You make me jealous with those little guys. Since I've never even seen half of those color combinations I can't make even a dumb guess.

Having a bird fear me is a bit on the strange side. Granted none of the turkeys I had before Mars an Jupiter lived through the summer usually coyotes and other predators would clean me out but neither Mars or Jupiter feared me and neither offered to attack anyone except a grasshopper or a piece of white paper (funny memories there) Mars was so imprinted that she would get mad at me if I left and wouldn't talk to me for a couple days when I got back. I hadn't given any thought to them being overly imprinted

Most of us have not. Some of those are so close to each other we could argue for months about what it is until we breed it and see the offspring.

Back
Top Bottom