A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

So this is probably gonna sound like a totally dumb question but I have to ask. This is my first time owning turkeys or chickens. The chickens are about the age to start laying and the turkeys are about a month younger than chickens. Still not sure if we have two hens or one tom and one hen. They look different but the one we suspect is a tom hasn't strutted or gobbled or anything yet. They are about 4 mths old I believe. Our blue slate that was killed by a skunk was strutting at a month old. But my question is this- do turkeys need a nest box or no? I am under the impression they don't lay eggs like chickens. It's more of a breed and lay several at once with them. Please explain this. I know silly question. Thanks for any info. Gonna try to get two great pics of each turkey so maybe you all can help me figure out what we have. Thanks again.

So this is probably gonna sound like a totally dumb question but I have to ask. This is my first time owning turkeys or chickens. The chickens are about the age to start laying and the turkeys are about a month younger than chickens. Still not sure if we have two hens or one tom and one hen. They look different but the one we suspect is a tom hasn't strutted or gobbled or anything yet. They are about 4 mths old I believe. Our blue slate that was killed by a skunk was strutting at a month old. But my question is this- do turkeys need a nest box or no? I am under the impression they don't lay eggs like chickens. It's more of a breed and lay several at once with them. Please explain this. I know silly question. Thanks for any info. Gonna try to get two great pics of each turkey so maybe you all can help me figure out what we have. Thanks again.

They will not lay until next spring. Turkeys are not chickens or like them in many ways. Other than they both have feathers.

It is hard to tell the difference until they get older in many cases. You will know someday what you have. Just enjoy them.

Thanks I'm trying to be patient but it's so hard!! I love watching them and learning about them. The girl (so we think) loves attention and comes running when I walk outside. They are very different behavior wise from the chickens.

Coffee - great to hear from you! Sounds like Porter is a (deservedly) spoiled boy :). Remember when you weren't sure whether you'd get used to turkeys? It sounds like you are enjoying them now!

Stephcraig - Turkeys are loads of fun - their personalities are very different from chickens! X2 what Ralph said. Your hens will need a nest area in the spring when they do start laying. Some use nest boxes, some lean a sheet of plywood or pallet against a wall to create a lean-to. If you free-range, they may find their own nest area and hide their eggs from you lol. My girls seem to lay one egg most days so far (it's their first season) and they started in February. It took around 4 months to figure out the sex of a couple of mine, others were really obvious earlier. Totally dependant on the turkey.

Memphis - glad you are healing up and starting to move the arm around more (gently)!

Aurora - Bees! Very cool, I may try that one of these days too. DH used to have bees so he could teach me how to look after them. Maybe you'll get a swarm and you won't have to stock the hive :)

We spent most of the day down around Seattle yesterday. Went to see Willie Nelson play....was a beautiful day for an outdoor concert. Now I have to catch up on the work around here but all good. I have one Easter egger hen that likes the turkey nest box, and Big Bird has decided to "hatch" her. Every time I go in there, Big Bird is sitting on top of her and I have to pull my little girl out from under her. Silly birds - it's too hot to sit on each other??! :D

Feisty...i cant believe Big Bird! Hysterical! Poor chicken! Hopefully you can get a pic!

Aurora, a friend of mine has bees & sells the honey at the farmers market. My gosh it good! I thought R2elk had some hives...

Feisty...i cant believe Big Bird! Hysterical! Poor chicken! Hopefully you can get a pic!

Aurora, a friend of mine has bees & sells the honey at the farmers market. My gosh it good! I thought R2elk had some hives...

I had hives once but the Dr gave me some stuff to get rid of them.....
lau.gif

Good morning All, guess I'm feeling a little sentimental, emotional, happy, thankful, love my life, whatever it is.. I'm sitting here having coffee by myself on my beautiful new deck at my beautiful new farm with my three very well behaved puppies (fingers xx'ed they stay this way for just a bit ) my phone is working my Family and friends are overall healthy and happy. Life is beautiful.. I was thinking about the few people in my life that have truly changed it in someway and I would like to thank Ralphie and his wife Judy for being 2 of those people. When I was going through a change in my life after my 1st husband died and seemed to be going a little crazy I meet Ralphie through BYC and from there my life went into a NEW direction. I'm happy where it has taken me.. And I thank Ralphie and Judy for so much more then they could know about.. Thank You BYC for giving me the opportunity to meet them..

Back
Top Bottom