A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

X2
big_smile.png

I think I have some bronze a few blues and royal palms. I only have one new Holland white.
hit.gif

The birds are nice but with my normal luck I did not get the ones I really wanted. But I will do fine. I am not sure if there is much market for a white bird here anyways. I think most people wanting a white bird would buy WBB's.

I will get you a real count soon. Maybe.

I know it is weird, but I really do not count birds until I start planning for breeders to keep.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Been awhile since I posted on here! Have some sad news... It looks like I am going to loose my turkey hen Mabel. She cut herself really bad on something and I just noticed it. Im scared I will have to put her down...

I also just got back from the State fair. I got a blye ribbon for my breeding pen of Buckeyes!!

Congrats on the box o'bucks Holm! Sorry to hear about Mabel. Hope she can recover. Keep us posted

What a great idea! Drying on a pilot light.

I do not have a pilot light so I am forced to use my dehydrator. BUT you got me thinking I wonder if my incubators would work to dry fruit.

I have figured out my turkeys are plotting against me! Last night I did not even get their "treat" into the coop/pen before Ethel Jr was in the door and bawling me out for not dumping it out fast enough. When I went outside to "run" them in, the self blue hen ran away from the coop. I got her headed the right way and she rain in. JJ on the other hand, got to the door and turned away as if he was going to refuse. The good thing about JJ being the one assigned to give me my exercise chasing turkeys is his dignity.

He is way to dignified to actually run, unless he is running towards food. He would never run away from food. So he just lumbered the other direction so I could step in front of him and point to the door. Then he gave up and walked inside.

Turkeys are not normal!
Hummm, an incubator to dehydrate the fruit.... a dry hatch I presume?
old.gif
We are loving the dehydrated plums and will be starting the pears in about a week I reckon.
Love your turkey stories... After hatching out 300 plus turkey poults all season, we did a final hatch for ourselves and were very disappointed - 3 left out of 11 that candled full. 6 hatched and 3 died within 3 days. The ones that are left are definitely trying to become lappers.
Meanwhile our insane turkey hens are still laying... One is on her 4th nest, the last 3 have been destroyed by ravens, racoons, and GOK where one of them was. We have found her latest, so golf balls in, and a daily struggling through a thorny rose bush to get the latest one.... really??
Our juvenile turkeys Nefertiti (definitely acts like a queen), Nellie, and Beau ridley are all doing their best to spend the night roosting with the big girls and boys. Every night I am going around with a long stick - this game continues at least 3 times until I can get all the chickens in their right places and get the barn door shut in time. The new chicks are still deciding where to sleep so every night is like behind the scenes at a theatre... chickens rushing back and forth, much discussion and argument, and final rumpling of feathers and egos.

Turkeytruff- I'll try the pears in the dehydrator and see what I think
smile.png
. At this time of year I'm drying tons of fruit anyway so I'll slide a few pears in and see if I like them better dried!

Ralph - your toads are huge. They are nice looking birds too! It would be hilarious if you found an off-season use for incubators - fruit dryers
big_smile.png
Great - you won't be disappointed!

Holmes I'm sorry your Mabel is so unwell. Congrats on the Buckeyes!

What a great idea! Drying on a pilot light.

I do not have a pilot light so I am forced to use my dehydrator. BUT you got me thinking I wonder if my incubators would work to dry fruit.

I have figured out my turkeys are plotting against me! Last night I did not even get their "treat" into the coop/pen before Ethel Jr was in the door and bawling me out for not dumping it out fast enough. When I went outside to "run" them in, the self blue hen ran away from the coop. I got her headed the right way and she rain in. JJ on the other hand, got to the door and turned away as if he was going to refuse. The good thing about JJ being the one assigned to give me my exercise chasing turkeys is his dignity.

He is way to dignified to actually run, unless he is running towards food. He would never run away from food. So he just lumbered the other direction so I could step in front of him and point to the door. Then he gave up and walked inside.

Turkeys are not normal!
but they are so much fun !!!

Back
Top Bottom