A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

speaking of normal...Is it for 5 jakes to go after a broody BJG chicken every time she comes off the nest..they also go after a cx hen I held back...
needless to say they are now separated. The turkeys have been with the chickens since I got the BBB and at 8wks for the 4 nari. They are now 22 and 20 wks old...and playing rip off the other's snood games LOL

Don't know if it's normal - but one of my boys had a strong attraction to my LF Cochin hen (which resulted in the boys getting a new run, separate from the ladies they were raised with) :rolleyes:

Don't know if it's normal - but one of my boys had a strong attraction to my LF Cochin hen (which resulted in the boys getting a new run, separate from the ladies they were raised with)
roll.png
mine seem to be attracted to me more than the lone turkey hen or the chicken hens.. lets put it this way..I do not sit on the ground in the run LOL
it looks more like they want to kill these 2 chickens.

Here's one. Is it normal for a tom to squat like a hen to be mounted? My Romeo is the biggest sweet heart there is. He wants loved and cuddled and when he gets really excited and halt from getting pet, he will squat down in front of me like any hen that's ready for mating. Is that really weird or just a symbol of his respect to me or what?

Dinner may have to be butchered earlier rather than later. He was slated for thanksgiving and was going to be staying around until the week before but a day or so ago, he started limping. I'm guessing he just landed hard flying down out of the rafters. I'm watching him close and it seems like it's his hock that hurts. He twitched like it hurt when I was feeling around there. I'm hoping he recovers in a couple days and we can keep him around to grow a little more. He's a decent size now but I'd like him to be bigger. He's also very sweet and I'd rather not put him down any earlier than I have to.

Tried treating our birds to some big juicy catalpa worms today. They acted scared of them!! Except for our sweet little silkie who fought one and ate it whole after slinging it around for a bit. We had read they usually love these worms. You all ever try feeding them to turkeys or chickens?

Aurora...Romeo loves ya!! Hate that about Dinner.

Stephcraig...my turkeys can be funny about new foods. Usually they will inspect it prior to eating. Debating amoungst themselves if its edible. At that point a chicken usually shows up & starts eating. Once they see a chicken eating said scary food they will try it. Like Ralphie says, turkeys arent normal!!

I took Ralphs advise & posted my Sycronized bathing pic in the dust bath contest.

Aurora...Romeo loves ya!! Hate that about Dinner.

Stephcraig...my turkeys can be funny about new foods. Usually they will inspect it prior to eating. Debating amoungst themselves if its edible. At that point a chicken usually shows up & starts eating. Once they see a chicken eating said scary food they will try it. Like Ralphie says, turkeys arent normal!!

I took Ralphs advise & posted my Sycronized bathing pic in the dust bath contest.

I am glad you did. It looked good there...

I let my Porter breeding stock out for about 2 hours today. The Nameless Tom is working on becoming a headless Tom. He was harassing the Babies. I put a stop to that, The hens were right with them, I think the one that lost the 4 poults wants to adopt them.

Oh, the almost Headless one decided to have a "snood pulling contest and strutting" match with one of the young ones. I put an end to that. However, my ending it started a three way snood pulling contest and chase each other around the barrel waterer contest...... Like I said, Turkeys just ain't normal!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom