A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

It's gonna be too hot for hunting this weekend... The high is in the upper 50's and lower 60's...

Too hot to hunt here too Holm!

If Ralph passes on Mr. T.....I'm next in line!!;) Holm, get something to show!!

Ralph...really want to see a picture of Snitch! :D

Got a kick out my girls last night. Got home from work, they were both in the chicken yard. I called them and they flew over the gate, barking & flapping. Quickly settled into trills. They are as goofy to see me as my dogs. Love my hens!!

I tell u we hunt turkey in North Carolina and there's so many hens around that I think there going to have a hen season when they have the turkey season it self there's way to many there's at least 40 hens in one group on our property does any one hunt on here like for turkeys last year was my first time getting a bird I shot a double bearded bird he was huge I'm getting him mounted but is there any HUNTER HERE
wild Turkeys just started showing up a few years ago by me...waiting to get enough to hunt

When I didn't have birds...First one I seen, jake, stayed by my truck/ spruce trees and unfortunately chair on front porch
ep.gif
all winter during the day. At night he would go back to the woods and cross the road. When spring came and he started displaying, he left and I haven't seen a male since.. I see a lone hen every spring along the creek.

I was wondering why Sidekick's beard is so small.

Tonight after I got them to bed he stood there and let a hen chew his little beard down to a nub. Without a beard he will never be a show bird. stupid turkeys.

Question for those of you who have raised turkeys for awhile.

I have a mixed flock of turkeys of various ages, 21 in all. We free range on 3 acres of fenced pasture. In the mix I have some 3 month old birds from Porters. A few got sick and we treated them for cocci and they improved. However two remained weak. One laid down in the field while ranging and the toms attacked and killed it. All of the toms, young and old. I grabbed the second and put it in a hoop coop for protection. It got better but i opened the door to let it out and same thing.

Any advice...

On another subject - this Turkey Talk is a great forum. Thanks for putting it up for us newbies.....

Question for those of you who have raised turkeys for awhile.

I have a mixed flock of turkeys of various ages, 21 in all. We free range on 3 acres of fenced pasture. In the mix I have some 3 month old birds from Porters. A few got sick and we treated them for cocci and they improved. However two remained weak. One laid down in the field while ranging and the toms attacked and killed it. All of the toms, young and old. I grabbed the second and put it in a hoop coop for protection. It got better but i opened the door to let it out and same thing.

Any advice...

On another subject - this Turkey Talk is a great forum. Thanks for putting it up for us newbies.....

I have never seen this. How fast did you try to integrate the young ones into the flock?

Did the Toms see the young ones from the start? Are you sure the Toms did not injure the young one then it laid down?

I have not had this happen but I worry about it. My young ones from Porters are 4 months old. They just joined the flock last week. However, the old turkeys have been spending time with the young ones for the last 2 months on and off. At first they just ignored them now they seem to be doing good.

Please do not take this wrong, EVERYONE. I love the Porter website and the calculator and what we can do with colors. However, as I am drifting away from colors and trying for SOP meeting APA birds, I will most likely not order from Porter's again. While the colors are great, the confirmation on the birds is not as good as that on the stock I have raised from the birds I got from a breeder near here.

Holm I am actually thinking of getting rid of Ethel Jr also, in case your interested. I do not want to have to worry about off color feathers next year. ( boy that sounds snobbish coming from me). Ethel Jr is more Bellybutton than Lapper or even tolerant.

Ralph....sounds like your refining your breeding program & developing a focus. Is there a certain APA color your going for? Wish you could show Sidekick. He's impressive. Do you have any young slate jakes that look promising? What is Snitch...hen/tom...slate/rusty...? I imagine, if you want to show a tom, you'd need to be training lappers now for the spring shows. Honestly...I've never had issues bathing my hens. But they are lappers. Somewhere R2elk is rolling his eyes!

Back
Top Bottom