A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Hey all! Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I am very happy to report our two turkey hens are once again acting happy and healthy! I am very certain they are both preparing to lay. I guess the 50-60 degree temperatures we've been having here in mid-Missouri might be throwing off their internal clock/calendar. The darker colored hen was strutting like crazy yesterday and if I didn't know better would of easily mistaken her for a tom! They are both becoming friendlier and will let us pet them now. On a bad note I was doing an overall body check on all the chickens I could catch. We have LICE!!! All the birds I was able to check were infested. Have read permethrin is the recommended treatment. Question is should I just spray birds and pen and cool or bathe the birds too? What is a safe mixture ratio? Can't believe I hadn't seen this sooner. But I'm on it now!! Thanks for your help and hope you all have a great New Years!

Hey everyone, new to this thread! I'll be getting my first Turkey's in 2017. Growing up, my parents always had Turkeys. I don't exactly know what breed they were - I'm guessing Narragansett. My Dad said they never paid attention to breeds, only meat production. He told me he thinks the hens started mating with wild Turkeys at some point, so they never really showed breed specific characteristics. Who knows. Anyways, I just put in an order for hatching eggs from Porter's (Sweetgrass, Pencilled Chocolate Palm, and a few non-APA breeder choice eggs). Hopefully, I can get them under a broody duck this Spring. Otherwise, to the bator they go.

Hey everyone, new to this thread! I'll be getting my first Turkey's in 2017. Growing up, my parents always had Turkeys. I don't exactly know what breed they were - I'm guessing Narragansett. My Dad said they never paid attention to breeds, only meat production. He told me he thinks the hens started mating with wild Turkeys at some point, so they never really showed breed specific characteristics. Who knows. Anyways, I just put in an order for hatching eggs from Porter's (Sweetgrass, Pencilled Chocolate Palm, and a few non-APA breeder choice eggs). Hopefully, I can get them under a broody duck this Spring. Otherwise, to the bator they go.   

Welcome to the thread!!

hope your eggs hatch that will be some pretty birds if they do.

my quail eggs are cooking in the cabinet.

must stay off craigslist. messing around on there came across a flock that needed to be rehomed.

picking up 5 dozen cream leg bar eggs. 5 hens and a rooster tomorrow morning.

can't wait to see the blue eggs they lay.

the chicken that got caught in the pen is probably gonna lose her leg. it has turned black. never had a one legged chicken. I did have one that lost both feet and got around good.

Back
Top Bottom