A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

By Major, I mean Major county road where people drive an average of 92 mph.
Guineans make good speed bumps
gig.gif

Good Morning.. The New years made it.  And I did not even have to help it get here.

Coffee is doing good Memphis. She still has crappy internet.   She called because one of her turkeys was beaten nearly to death by her guineas.   She now knows what I mean when I say Guineas are gangsters.

Messing with Coffees Turkeys is not wise, she said she might remove all their heads.

Feisty glad you got a turkey fix,  You sure they weren't Emus?  Had you been drinking prior to seeing them?  Any drugs that might be illegal here?  Did you lick a toad before seeing them?

Well Ralph, I had not yet had a drink and there are no psychedelic toads here :p. Fairly certain that there aren't wild emus....so therefore they were turkeys. :gig

Geez! Daisy just took off & flew all the way down my driveway, over my garage & into my backyard. Never seen her fly so high or so long. It was pretty cool to see. And dang it I didnt have my camera!

Well we were outside Friday afternoon while weather was warm dusting everyone with permethrin powder I got at feed store. Took awhile to catch all the chickens but finally got them all. Then it was time to do the two turkey hens. The lighter colored one has fallen in love with my daughter and me. She follows us around and if we approach her she lays down and waits for us to pet her. She even does that weird purr sound. The darker hen however was no where to be found. We walked the property borders looking for her. Finally I caught glimpse of dark tail feathers off in the thick brush in the field behind our house. We walked back and found her laying in a nice deep nest she had made. With a little coaxing she got up and to our surprise we saw a beautiful big egg! She puffed up and stood over it for a minute then ran off to join her "sister" I was totally shocked that she started laying. Even though they were acting like they were going to I just thought they would hold out till spring. Do you all think this warmer weather is throwing off their internal clock? She hasn't laid any more since then but figure the other hen will start soon too.

Well we were outside Friday afternoon while weather was warm dusting everyone with permethrin powder I got at feed store. Took awhile to catch all the chickens but finally got them all. Then it was time to do the two turkey hens. The lighter colored one has fallen in love with my daughter and me. She follows us around and if we approach her she lays down and waits for us to pet her. She even does that weird purr sound. The darker hen however was no where to be found. We walked the property borders looking for her. Finally I caught glimpse of dark tail feathers off in the thick brush in the field behind our house. We walked back and found her laying in a nice deep nest she had made. With a little coaxing she got up and to our surprise we saw a beautiful big egg! She puffed up and stood over it for a minute then ran off to join her "sister" I was totally shocked that she started laying. Even though they were acting like they were going to I just thought they would hold out till spring. Do you all think this warmer weather is throwing off their internal clock? She hasn't laid any more since then but figure the other hen will start soon too.

Congrats on the egg.

maybe the laying bug will move northwest. So my girls can catch it. lol.

since your hen had a nest keep an eye on her since you found that one. she may move it and be harder to find next time.

I keep mine penned when they lay or I end up losing them to predators. I can't seem to find them but everything else does.

Last edited:
So glad to hear a turkey has layed!! Feedmam, I do the same thing. I need to keep an eye on Daisy when she feels urge she'll fly out of the yard if she can't get to her nesting area. I can sure tell when she's getting ready. She gets "Pre-Egg-Syndrome ". Annie is much more casual. If she cant get to her jest spot she'll use a chicken nest box. And doesnt care if ther e is a hen in there or not.

when you find the next nest, put a fake egg in there so she will go back to it.. other wise you will have an egg hunt every day and they get hidden better and better.

Guineas......road bumps.....hilarious!

We have a lot of wild turkeys that roam through our yard. Maybe my future turkeys will think "Hey, that's the life for me" and take off with them for a life of boozing and gambling. Then, I'll be sad.....forever. I'll have to put out fans in the Summer like Memphis so they'll stick around.

Back
Top Bottom