A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Well sad day here today also, we put Porter in the freezer my husband went out to take him his daily leftovers and he jumped on my husbands back and his claws went through his jeans and poked a hole in his shin to the bone. So my dad immediately went and put him down it was so sad but I knew there was nothing else to be down about it. I'm not sure how much other peoples turkeys weigh but after we plucked and cleaned him he weighed 38 lbs ,, Big boy I'm going to need a BIG pan..

Well sad day here today also, we put Porter in the freezer my husband went out to take him his daily leftovers and he jumped on my husbands back and his claws went through his jeans and poked a hole in his shin to the bone. So my dad immediately went and put him down it was so sad but I knew there was nothing else to be down about it. I'm not sure how much other peoples turkeys weigh but after we plucked and cleaned him he weighed 38 lbs ,, Big boy I'm going to need a BIG pan..

Sorry to hear that Coffee... But that is something that has to be taken care of... You guys did the right thing I think.

And what in the heck did you feed him?! Miracle grow?! Or big Broad breasted turkeys were only 45 pounds! He sounds huge! I bet Mr. T would only dress out at 25 pounds and he is 3 years old!

Aww thats a shame Coffee. But sure don't need a bird that big attacking anything.

Dang he sure was a big'um! Geez!

Its the stock he came from...

I was amazed when she told me 38lbs dressed! WOW.. I have had BB go less than that.

This is a good reminder to all of us, as I said before, NEVER TRUST A MALE ANIMAL In breeding season (or out) they can be unpredictable. They are usually larger and more aggressive than a hen with chicks even.

I would not want to be attacked by a turkey that size from behind.

so sorry porter sent himself to freezer camp ... wow big bird to be jumping people.. owie
I cut up my BBB to manageable pan sizes

Aww, I'm sorry that he had to go. He'll feed you guys for a good long while though. We're in the same boat here. Hubby went in to the turkey pen for me today to get one of the ducks out (that was hilarious to watch btw) but Adam was not ready to tolerate him in there and flogged him.hubby grabbed him and held him still for a few minutes but just got bit on the arm. As soon as I confirm that one of these poults is a boy, Adam will be making his way to the freezer. He's a big boy too but nowhere near as big as Porter I'm sure. THAT is a big bird!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom