A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

JR Mostly I've lost chickens during these wild temp swings--but a few days ago, the roosters in the bachelor pad attacked three of my Toms, two dead within 24 hours, I thought the third was going to make it but lost him yesterday. Roosters have been evicted and are now in solitary confinement en route to freezer camp.

Whatever the disease is it's still going on. I thought they were getting better until last night when 3 died. I don't think that it is environmental since none of my chicken chicks in the area, in a different brooder, seem to be affected. I separated the healthy ones onto wood chips and they are still dying. They show the signs of coccidiosis even though I might still be wrong. They seem lethargic, their poop turns runny and gross, and they die in less than a day from this. I am just stumped. The 3 that died seemed fine yesterday morning but today they are dead.
I don't have any poultry experts in my area so I don't know what else to do.
I am down to 15 from 32 in one week.
Either way I am going to let my hens sit on a lot of eggs this year. I was planning on them sitting on a very little amount.

Last edited:
Look up the merk vetinary manual /cocciodiosis in poultry
For a real in depth explanation of what's going on. If you are giving corrid it has to be the only source of water. You may need to INCREASE the amount in the mix ratio. It takes 7 to 14 days to get rid of it. Which is a misleading statement as you can NEVER eliminate all of it in the environment. What your trying to do is weaken or kill off enough of it so the poultry can develope a resistance to it.

Last edited:
I really sympathize with what your going through. If you read the vet description, it explains what's happening. Double down on the corrid,then start trying to treat the effects. They will be suffering from malnutrition and dehydration. And to a degree blood loss

FYI, Corid can be given orally to those that aren't drinking enough water.
  • Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 10 ml of water, stir well and give 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight per day.

or
  • If 9.6% liquid, give 0.02 ml per 100 grams per day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom