A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

New moma turkeys...I can see mine getting goofy over poults! Daisy has never tried to go broody. Annie was sitting on an egg earlier this week. Threw her out in the yard & stole the egg. She gave up easily. Only had one Australorp go broody earlier this year. She was determined, but finally gave it up. Been pretty lucky here this year...so far!

I could ship you a dozen broodies or so..

View attachment 1036562 Box of cute.,, I hope they get to live.
:love you could send them here i only have 2 poults and 1 lonely turkey egg in my incubator

Feedman!! WOW.. I knew Holm and I should have went..You would not have gotten anything that cheap had I been there..

I just got a call from the state vet..

I am clean and disease free. It is not MS or MG. She said she has never seen a bird look like that and not have it.

They said I could take the bird to the UoM and they would do a work up on it, but I have decided to pass on that. Even though it would be good to know and for the state to know. It requires killing the poult and costs me $80. Beings it has not spread and one bird seems free of what ever it is. I can't see doing it at this time.

I am going to start a antibiotic treatment on it to see if it clears up, if it does in a week I know it is or was bacterial. If it does not it is viral or allergy..
Awesome news!!!

I also have sego lilies all over right now, along with several spring blooming asters, a native dandelion (and the weed version too) the wild garlic is finishing up. There are wild legumes that remind me of tiny purple flowering pea plants, and this super sticky, super sweet parasitic flower that attaches to grass roots. There's also these tiny purple five pointed ground hugging flowers, and the yucca are starting to bloom. The desert roses are just opening. There are others, I keep a pretty good eye on all the flowers throughout the season. Although I can't remember the names of them, I mentally catalog all the flowers here.... I should figure out what all of them are. Chokecherries and golden currents will be ready in a few weeks!

We'll we are dead into summer and all of the lovely spring bloomers have bloomed. My hostas are firing & my bottle brush buckeye is about to bloom. It's stunning with its white plumes. I need to take pictures. My vitex is blooming, big blue spires. Need to add some red & I'll be ready for the 4th of July! Oh wait! My Carolina All Spice is blooming...its red! All ready for July!! The fun part of spring for me is seeing my plants reemerge. Sort if like seeing old friends again! They spend the winter under a leaf pack that the chickens kindly shred into mulch while fertilizing. The chickens get kicked out in early March when things start peeking up. But my turkeys don't tear things up. So they get to hang out.

I have a violet explosion in my chicken/turkey/dog yard. It's a big yard, 200 feet deep, shaded by pecan trees. They annoy me so I wander around digging them out. Had the help of the whole flock. Sure have to watch out for toes & beaks. I have to admit its nice to have their company! Chickens are softly murmuring, turkeys want to see every weed I dig. I guess they think I'm foraging.

20170606_121029.jpg

Annie "helping" in the garden yesterday!

But my turkeys don't tear things up. So they get to hang out.
I planted some flowers yesterday, and my turkeys trampled them! :hit
It's because they were along the fence, and the dumb turkeys can jump/fly out, but then can't figure out how to get back in. So they run back and forth crying and poking their necks through the chain link.

The plants aren't killed, just a little broken. I'm going to have to put some wire around them.

Back
Top Bottom