A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I use big plastic totes as nest boxes for the turkeys. The higher sides discourage the toms from bothering the hens and I don't have to build anything, just shavings or hay/straw bedding. It's big enough their tails stay nice, and I have the grit hopper propped against the side so it doesn't tip when they stand on the lip of the tote.

So you have the totes upright or on the side? How big of totes?

Just went and got them some gamebird layer feed since I figure the extra calcium won’t hurt the Tom/guineas going to the butcher shortly.

On a side note I’ve got 3 baby goats on hold :)

Baby goats are the sweetest lil devils! We got two four month olds and a bred doe three weeks ago.... and we are smitten with them all. One more animal tv to watch now lol!

So you have the totes upright or on the side? How big of totes?
Upright, wedged into a corner with heavy stuff blocking the open sides so they don't flip over when the hens are getting inside.
IMG_20170213_152537500.jpg
In this pic, there are 2 turkey hens and a chicken sandwich. They love the tote nest.

F6D3B7E7-6E62-4BF7-8F3A-68D393A86BC6.jpeg
So here’s my newly revamped poop hammock and some preliminary nest totes.

I may put a poo shield using the tote lids above the nest area depending how well my painting cloth poo hammock does.

I had to move the roosts and add a bunch of cross bracing 2x4 that all needed unique cuts so I had places to put the bracket and such into. Did it all myself without the husband’s help! (Just used his saw and impact driver)

So far the turkeys don’t want to go into the coop. 1) it’s sunny finally and 2) stranger danger of new things!

Back
Top Bottom