A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Love the " Guess the Vaiety" game Feedman!

All the girls here are walking around panting. Slowly moving from wading pools to fans. Full on summer heat. Egg production waning. Chickens are heading to their coop around 6:00. But the turkey girls will stay up chasing bugs in the yard till well after 7. They hung out with us till almost 8 last night. They want to stay up later, but they sleep in a lot later than the chickens.

Ok everyone, I need some serious help. I have 3 wild turkey poults with no momma. We found them in the middle of a filed chirping away with no momma in sight. We left them for 3 hours hoping momma would return but no luck. I now have them in a brooder with a heat lamp, 24% chick feed and fresh water. I havent seen them eat nor does the feeder look like they've touched it. They are about 2-4 days old. Is there anything else I can do for them? Any recommendations or things to look for. Should I give them electrolytes in water like chicks? I have chickens and duck but I have never had a turkey before. Any help would be awesome!!!

Ok everyone, I need some serious help. I have 3 wild turkey poults with no momma. We found them in the middle of a filed chirping away with no momma in sight. We left them for 3 hours hoping momma would return but no luck. I now have them in a brooder with a heat lamp, 24% chick feed and fresh water. I havent seen them eat nor does the feeder look like they've touched it. They are about 2-4 days old. Is there anything else I can do for them? Any recommendations or things to look for. Should I give them electrolytes in water like chicks? I have chickens and duck but I have never had a turkey before. Any help would be awesome!!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-found-wild-turkey-chick-what-to-do.189757/

https://postconsumerlife.com/2014/06/11/lets-talk-turkey-raising-a-wild-turkey-poult/

The first thing that you should have done was to contact the local game warden/DNR person. You should still contact them and turn over the poults to them.

9509F9CC-9AF2-42E4-A348-5EBE55BC63E5.jpeg
They do it a little more now lol.

2roos....awww!! Too dang cute for words. Makes me giggle!
Mine molt in the fall. They've started as early as September and as late as December. Last year they went into heavy molts at the beginning of September & we had an usually hard winter. The year before they didn't molt till December & we hardly had a winter. Not sure if that means anything....just an observation. However, if in fact they can predict the kind of winter we will have based on their molts....I'm filling out consultant applications for them to the Weather Channel. They can consult on long range forecasts. Actually, since we are spread out across the country, we could develop a network of turkey pod consultants!! Heck with that darn ground hog....our turkeys can get the job done!!

Back
Top Bottom