A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

20180922_131742.jpg

If I fits, I sits. Silly birds...

Turkey Times....you have a lapper! You realize she really wants to be sitting in you lap.

Speaking of lappers...mine are restless. Two days of nasty storms. Still raining this morning, but is supposed to dry up finally. Their daily routine has been severely affected. They are not happy. And I'm hearing about it. They have no qualms about voicing their discontent.

I had been getting 4 to 5 turkey eggs daily up until a few days ago (4 or more). At that time the eggs dropped to two a day. But.. I was having to put a couple of hens back in the pen on those days. Today I managed to notice when one of the turkey hens was missing. After a brief search I found her as she was covering her nest of 9 eggs. There were definitely two different hens using the nest.

The eggs have been replaced with a fake egg. I will be setting 4 1/2 dozen eggs this evening. Do to Mr. Picky being how he is, I will not be surprised if 90% of the eggs are infertile. If however there is a high percentage of fertile eggs, I am going to be in a lot of trouble if too many hatch. Memphis might have to take some of them off of my hands as I am sure there will be some Tri-Color Mottleds both blacks and slates.

I know the Blue Slate hen is laying fertile eggs.

a couple of weeks or so ago, I found where 5 hens have 3 nests on the tree lined fence row. I put up 200' of e net where they hop up on a wood post and a truck cap(on the other side of the fence) surrounding the nests up to the yard... friday night it was going to be above 40f so i left the oldest bait eggs out, of course I forgot to check saturday and a hen kept getting in the trees and jumping out searching for a new spot. I checked and the egg closest to the creek was gone. The trees tops connect so I assume a coon dropped in. I put another egg out and she jumped out 2 more x. Finally she went back and laid in her old spot. .. only 2 hens are constantly laying in a coop. the oldest where she started laying last year and a hen that went back to the chicken coop she hatched in.

Back
Top Bottom