A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Alicia...I like it! And go cuddle those poor babies!!
:rant:oops:
I didn't listen.... when I moved the babies into that brooder they were acting cold so I turned the wafer up a little 30 mins later they were still acting cold so I tweaked it a little more... then at 10:30 I went to check cuz they were still SCREAMING and found that some of them were dead and others were suffering from overheating...
I spent the next 2 hours trying to save them and watched all of my bcm and all but a few of the rest die. I am so heartbroken. my DD had managed to hatch 2 black Nn and i think 4 black turkeys that she was intending to take to fair in july. both Nn and all but maybe 2 ? of the turkeys died...
I will not adjust the thermostat with babies in there again!
we have another batch set to hatch this next weekend but no more bcm.😭😭

I didn't listen.... when I moved the babies into that brooder they were acting cold so I turned the wafer up a little 30 mins later they were still acting cold so I tweaked it a little more... then at 10:30 I went to check cuz they were still SCREAMING and found that some of them were dead and others were suffering from overheating...
I spent the next 2 hours trying to save them and watched all of my bcm and all but a few of the rest die. I am so heartbroken. my DD had managed to hatch 2 black Nn and i think 4 black turkeys that she was intending to take to fair in july. both Nn and all but maybe 2 ? of the turkeys died...
Sorry about that. This is one of the reasons that I make any adjustments based off of the actual temperature measured at the bedding level and not based on poult reactions.

I am so sorry, hugs

This color scheme is terrible.. I may never set use to it... and I can’t find a way to make the print larger for my old eyes..
Font too small on my phone...these old eyes
Emoji will not load up on slow internet PC and locks the tab. I can't see them on the phone
I guess I was spending too much time on here anyway

Sorry about that. This is one of the reasons that I make any adjustments based off of the actual temperature measured at the bedding level and not based on poult reactions.
I found out the hard way.
I ordered the nice brooders to simplify my life and improve my survival rates.
Whoops doesn't even begin to cover it.

Don't leave! All us young whippersnappers need lots of Good advice!
Hopefully they will work the bugs out....or I'll just check on the computer, when I am near it
Just frustrating to wake up to tiny print

And my eye doctor says I don't need glasses... Cataracts are not bad enough to get removed

I found out the hard way.
I ordered the nice brooders to simplify my life and improve my survival rates.
Whoops doesn't even begin to cover it.
I got a digital PID temperature controller to plug my brooder heater into. I position the temperature sensor on the bedding below the brooder heater. As long as there are no power outages it has worked excellent for me since I get to set the temperature digitally without having to fuss with any knobs.

I got a digital PID temperature controller to plug my brooder heater into. I position the temperature sensor on the bedding below the brooder heater. As long as there are no power outages it has worked excellent for me since I get to set the temperature digitally without having to fuss with any knobs.
I had to google what a PID temperature controller was... looks like a grand idea. I only paid $279 per level for the brooder, it looks like the controller would run that much or more? And I do not know how to over-ride the wafer thermostat. I have some very basic capabilities but this looks like it is over my head. Sigh would have been nice.
I do have to say that being able to adjust them with a knob is much nicer than moving the heat bulb around trying to get it "just right"
The hope is that once I get my program "dialed in" it will be easier

Back
Top Bottom