A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

She's trying to wear us down! I'm not going away that easily. She used me to get to you...
Almost ruined your impeccable reputation and could've gotten me killed.
She's got to pay! :old :lau

Yep!! That restraining order was bogus and she knows it. She invited me in.

I lost a hen today.

I walked by the barn and saw a Tom doing his thing in a corner, I was wondering what he was on, I figured it would be a bucket or waterer. It was a RP hen.

I kicked him off her, she had been stomped on badly, her back was raw. She tried to flee but it appeared a leg was messed up.

I moved her into the toad pen near the water. Unfortunately, when I check a hour later she was gone.

I might have to start a convent also.

I lost a hen today.

I walked by the barn and saw a Tom doing his thing in a corner, I was wondering what he was on, I figured it would be a bucket or waterer. It was a RP hen.

I kicked him off her, she had been stomped on badly, her back was raw. She tried to flee but it appeared a leg was messed up.

I moved her into the toad pen near the water. Unfortunately, when I check a hour later she was gone.

I might have to start a convent also.

So the Tom stomped her to death? Is that common for incidents like that to happen? I know RPs are smaller turkeys. I've been reading up on them because I am expecting some in July. A friend of mine had that to happen with her best Narragansett hen. The Tom apparently was too aggressive in his pursuits and killed her. I'm sorry you lost your hen! :(

So the Tom stomped her to death? Is that common for incidents like that to happen? I know RPs are smaller turkeys. I've been reading up on them because I am expecting some in July. A friend of mine had that to happen with her best Narragansett hen. The Tom apparently was too aggressive in his pursuits and killed her. I'm sorry you lost your hen! :(
It is currently unknown whether the tom killed the hen or if he was just finishing off a hen that was poorly.

It is currently unknown whether the tom killed the hen or if he was just finishing off a hen that was poorly.

As R2elk says we can never know for sure as I did not see the beginning.

I assume she was healthy and just got stuck or trapped in a place she could not escape from. She appeared to be full breasted and the right weight, nothing caught my eye before hand.

If it happens again that Tom will be making a visit to my smoker. Nothing tastes better than smoked overly aggressive Tom.

I have too much testosterone in my flock of chickens and turkeys. I am getting rid of roosters and should get rid of some Toms.

I would not worry if you have a Tom, but try to keep a few hens for each Tom, maybe a 4-5 to one ratio or higher.

As R2elk says we can never know for sure as I did not see the beginning.

I assume she was healthy and just got stuck or trapped in a place she could not escape from. She appeared to be full breasted and the right weight, nothing caught my eye before hand.

If it happens again that Tom will be making a visit to my smoker. Nothing tastes better than smoked overly aggressive Tom.

I have too much testosterone in my flock of chickens and turkeys. I am getting rid of roosters and should get rid of some Toms.

I would not worry if you have a Tom, but try to keep a few hens for each Tom, maybe a 4-5 to one ratio or higher.

My only turkey at this moment is only 3 weeks old but I'm hoping it is a hen. I am expecting a shipment of poults from a hatchery next month. We process culls we dont need and any aggressive roosters so I plan on eating the extra Toms.

Any pointers on sexing a juvenile turkey? From what I have read poults are pretty ambiguous until several months old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom