A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

It all depends on how the USPS handles them and how long they take to deliver them.

Turkey genetics are easier than chicken genetics, at least as far as colors go.

You can learn a lot on Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys and the Turkey Color Calculator that is linked to from there.

Yes I have been reading a lot on the Porter's website. Thank you!

I hope my poults do okay in the mail. I will be a worried mess until they get here!

Yes I have been reading a lot on the Porter's website. Thank you!

I hope my poults do okay in the mail. I will be a worried mess until they get here!
There is no point in worrying about something that you have no control over. Once they show up, then you will be able to deal with whatever the situation is.

I am soooo far behind that I am not even going to try and catch up today. It has been both a good and bad month, but the bad stands out.

To start, we lost a niece, which is very sad and very young at 25. Left 2 children.

Lost both of my Narragansett hens - different reasons. And I lost my best MW tom Cooper. I have lived here for 20 years and never saw a rat - but that's what killed him. I have been on a month-long vendetta.

My sister is looking at some turkey poults for me. (She says for me, but really for her!) These are poults born from two recessive (blue) slate parents and are supposed to breed true. Does anyone know about this variety? Oh, and their background comes from Porter's birds if I understand correctly. What she actually wanted was a self-blue or lavender, but if I am correct, she won't get that from these particular birds?

I had a bunch of Narragansett poults from Goldie, but have sold all but 2. After she hatched out eggs and left the nest, I checked them and managed to save one that hatched out 2 days behind its siblings. And, who then - a few days later - ended up having wry neck. Another new experience. However, s(h)e seems fine now after treating with Vit E and B. I kept one other poult that may be a golden Narragansett like the mother, but it's not like I know.

I also have 6 midget white poults from my hens that are doing well. All poults are under 3 weeks and/or 6 days.

Temps yesterday went to 99.3. It was already 91.3 before 11am. Will be spending most of my day babysitting buckets of water and sprinklers.
:oops::old

I am soooo far behind that I am not even going to try and catch up today. It has been both a good and bad month, but the bad stands out.

To start, we lost a niece, which is very sad and very young at 25. Left 2 children.

Lost both of my Narragansett hens - different reasons. And I lost my best MW tom Cooper. I have lived here for 20 years and never saw a rat - but that's what killed him. I have been on a month-long vendetta.

My sister is looking at some turkey poults for me. (She says for me, but really for her!) These are poults born from two recessive (blue) slate parents and are supposed to breed true. Does anyone know about this variety? Oh, and their background comes from Porter's birds if I understand correctly. What she actually wanted was a self-blue or lavender, but if I am correct, she won't get that from these particular birds?

I had a bunch of Narragansett poults from Goldie, but have sold all but 2. After she hatched out eggs and left the nest, I checked them and managed to save one that hatched out 2 days behind its siblings. And, who then - a few days later - ended up having wry neck. Another new experience. However, s(h)e seems fine now after treating with Vit E and B. I kept one other poult that may be a golden Narragansett like the mother, but it's not like I know.

I also have 6 midget white poults from my hens that are doing well. All poults are under 3 weeks and/or 6 days.

Temps yesterday went to 99.3. It was already 91.3 before 11am. Will be spending most of my day babysitting buckets of water and sprinklers.

:hugs so sorry for your losses
That's way too young

Oh, I forgot to add pics.

Some of Goldie's poults
goldie_poults.jpg

TT - hatched 2 days later than the ones above

tt_poult.jpg

Diamond hen poults

diamond_poult.jpg

diamond_2poults.jpg

2 poults.jpg

3_poults.jpg

There is no point in worrying about something that you have no control over. Once they show up, then you will be able to deal with whatever the situation is.

I know, I am a chronic worrier. I am trying to do better about worrying about things out of my control.

I am super excited about the poults but I'm not trying to get my hopes up. I know how it goes with ordering birds in the mail.

:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl

😢 I can't like any of that.
So sorry for your loss.

That is so tragic about your niece! I am so sorry for your loss and recent bad luck. My luck has been running pretty similarly lately with chickens and an incubator mishap. :(

Back
Top Bottom