A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

@R2elk do you remember who was wanting to know about sex link black skin in chickens? I remember you and @duluthralphie were talking about CRS and me because I couldn't remember where I seen it. Now I can't remember who was looking or what thread.

But I found a new thread where compost king talks about it https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ranger-breeding-project.1382235/page-3

View attachment 2187127
Not a clue. I have never had any interest in black skinned chickens so would have immediately filed anything about it in the "Do Not Remember Bin".

I am soooo far behind that I am not even going to try and catch up today. It has been both a good and bad month, but the bad stands out.

To start, we lost a niece, which is very sad and very young at 25. Left 2 children.

Lost both of my Narragansett hens - different reasons. And I lost my best MW tom Cooper. I have lived here for 20 years and never saw a rat - but that's what killed him. I have been on a month-long vendetta.

My sister is looking at some turkey poults for me. (She says for me, but really for her!) These are poults born from two recessive (blue) slate parents and are supposed to breed true. Does anyone know about this variety? Oh, and their background comes from Porter's birds if I understand correctly. What she actually wanted was a self-blue or lavender, but if I am correct, she won't get that from these particular birds?

I had a bunch of Narragansett poults from Goldie, but have sold all but 2. After she hatched out eggs and left the nest, I checked them and managed to save one that hatched out 2 days behind its siblings. And, who then - a few days later - ended up having wry neck. Another new experience. However, s(h)e seems fine now after treating with Vit E and B. I kept one other poult that may be a golden Narragansett like the mother, but it's not like I know.

I also have 6 midget white poults from my hens that are doing well. All poults are under 3 weeks and/or 6 days.

Temps yesterday went to 99.3. It was already 91.3 before 11am. Will be spending most of my day babysitting buckets of water and sprinklers.
:oops::old

I am so very sorry for your loss :(

Recessive Slate

Recessive Slates breed true. In my opinion they are an absolutely beautiful bird. They all come from Porter's stock as he is the one who imported them from Australia.

People buying them from Porter's are required to sign a contract that gives Porter control over them. It is my understanding that these people have to get Porter's permission when it comes to the sale of their turkeys.

@Noellereagan has Recessive Slates and Recessive Lilacs.

Self Blue aka Lavender have the dominant slate gene and cannot be created directly from Recessive Slates. They also have the black genes (BB) while Recessive Slates have the bronze genes (bb).

One of the reasons for the contract with Porter is to control the breeding of the Recessive Slates and to make sure no one is crossing them with dominant Slates thus polluting the genes and trying to pass dominant slates off as Recessive Slates.

I know that among others, Porter has also created Recessive Blue Narragansetts from his line of Recessive Slates.

The Recessive Slates are said to be bb slsl and have barred wings and penciling in their tail feathers which makes me wonder if they aren't also pnpn.
Thank you, R2elk. I didn't know about the contract part and will let my sister know. I am sure she could get them and cross with a slate to get the lavender, which means I would end up with them anyway. So far I have declined because my focus is more on my MW's.

According to Porter's, it states " Slates carrying the Bronze color gene (R) have barred flight feathers and penciled tail feathers slates (lilac) homozygous for the Red gene (r) have nearly white, non-barred flight feathers and non-penciled tail feathers."

Whether the ones she is looking at have that or not, I do not know. It's still open for discussion between sis and I at this point - meaning, she's still talking! lol

Thank you, R2elk. I didn't know about the contract part and will let my sister know. I am sure she could get them and cross with a slate to get the lavender, which means I would end up with them anyway. So far I have declined because my focus is more on my MW's.

According to Porter's, it states " Slates carrying the Bronze color gene (R) have barred flight feathers and penciled tail feathers slates (lilac) homozygous for the Red gene (r) have nearly white, non-barred flight feathers and non-penciled tail feathers."

Whether the ones she is looking at have that or not, I do not know. It's still open for discussion between sis and I at this point - meaning, she's still talking! lol
Crossing Recessive Slates with a Slate will not produce a Lavender. I know that the breeder contract that Porter had written up prohibits the people that bought them from crossing them with any other varieties of turkeys and does require Porter's approval for the sale of offspring. Violation of the terms of the contract calls for the forfeiture of the turkeys involved and the repossession by Porter's.

If she wants Lavenders, all she has to do is to breed a Blue Slate to a Blue Slate. That pairing will produce 50% Blue Slates, 25% Lavenders and 25% Blacks. Once the Lavenders are obtained, breeding Lavender to Lavender will yield 100% Lavenders.

Breeding a Blue Slate to a Recessive Slate will produce Barred Slates and Barred Blacks that are carrying the recessive bronze (b) and slate (sl) genes.

I do know that if Porter learns about someone planning to cross Recessive Slates with dominant Slates that someone will probably get sued.

Hello, I️ am torn upon whether I️ need to assist my Turkey poult with hatching. It is part of a batch of turkeys that was due 4 days ago that I raised in the incubator. I️ opened it so I️ could see if it was still alive. There is still some liquid in the egg around the edges and it appears that the white line that I️ circled is drifting back and forth. I’m assuming that means that it is still alive. There are no sudden jerks or movements. The first picture was it this morning and the other picture is it now. I’m not sure if I️ killed it by opening it too early or if it just absorbed all those veins that fast. I’m not sure what to do.
I️ was wondering, do I️ need to assist hatching or be concerned by the liquid around the edge of the egg shell?
CCA1C7A2-2207-49B5-AEDD-5885ACB00183.jpeg
C8839F84-6529-4F1C-8E84-7C6A70EB6F09.jpeg

Thanks
DC

What do you think of my truck topper broody pen? The nest is a dogaloo to the east situated against the chokecherries. I stuffed loose hay around all the cracks and tamped it in and put boards across to keep other birds from digging out the hay, then I put bricks all around to prevent blowing/ digging
Toppers are great animal shelters!

Pretty Girl is hen raised so she has a leg up on other first time broodies. I bet co-parenting with her will help both of them figure out things. In the meantime they have a nice hang out spot. I hope they all come out so I can count babies.i know there is at least a dozen in there. Plus I wanna clear any dead away and dud eggs. I don't dare yoink them out because they would freak an smoosh babies.

Back
Top Bottom