A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Hi Everyone! I️ need some help. You can get some context by going to my most recent thread “Broken egg alive and beating all odds?”. I️ can’t seem to find anyone else who has turkeys that can help me. 😅
Thank you!

😢 I can't like any of that.
So sorry for your loss.
That is so tragic about your niece! I am so sorry for your loss and recent bad luck. My luck has been running pretty similarly lately with chickens and an incubator mishap. :(
Thank you both. It's always hard to lose family members, but the unexpected ones are always the worst.

I understand incubator issues. I lost 33 turkey eggs already this year. I threw the incubator away.

Right now I have 22 "naked neck" eggs in another incubator. Daddy is a naked neck and the hens are light brahma, speckled Sussex, Dominique, black jersey giant, and 9 are California Whites. Want to see if I can get a white turken that lays white eggs. This is my experiment.
:pop

Thank you both. It's always hard to lose family members, but the unexpected ones are always the worst.

I understand incubator issues. I lost 33 turkey eggs already this year. I threw the incubator away.

Right now I have 22 "naked neck" eggs in another incubator. Daddy is a naked neck and the hens are light brahma, speckled Sussex, Dominique, black jersey giant, and 9 are California Whites. Want to see if I can get a white turken that lays white eggs. This is my experiment.
I️ read your earlier post, I️ am sorry for your loss. :hugs
I️ own 4 Blue Slates and I️ have been breeding for 3 years now. I️ can answer any questions you have.

That sucks you lost 33 turkey eggs! That is a lot of precious eggs to go to waste. Im sorry! :(

My incubator mishap was my cat's fault I think. He must have jumped up on the Genesis and held down the decrease button on the thermostat. That is the only explanation as nobody in my house is allowed to touch the incubators. I went in to check the humidity during lockdown and just about had a heart attack when I found the temperature at 84!! It had likely been that way for 2 days because I worked a stretch of 3 12 hour shifts during that time and hadn't checked the incubators since I put the eggs in lockdown. The temp was fine that day though on day 18. By day 20 it was 84. Only 3 of the eggs pipped out of 20 something. 1 died after pipping. The remaining 2 hatched on day 24. They were F1 olive eggers and black copper Marans. Luckily, I had kept my F2 olive eggers and more important Marans in the sportsman to hatch. I hatch in Tupperware tubs in the bottom so I don't have to raise humidty in the incubstor for lockdown. I've done that for a couple years now and it works great.

Lesson learned. Keep the cat out of the incubator room. The temp in the genesis is fine now.

I️ read your earlier post, I️ am sorry for your loss. :hugs
I️ own 4 Blue Slates and I️ have been breeding for 3 years now. I️ can answer any questions you have.
Thanks Sleek - My concern if I have read the genetics correctly, is that the Recessive Blue Slate turkeys will only produce recessive blue slate poults. These are also F2 poults. If she wants a self-blue or lavender, she needs to breed regular slates. Am I correct?

My sister is looking at some turkey poults for me. (She says for me, but really for her!) These are poults born from two recessive (blue) slate parents and are supposed to breed true. Does anyone know about this variety? Oh, and their background comes from Porter's birds if I understand correctly. What she actually wanted was a self-blue or lavender, but if I am correct, she won't get that from these particular birds?
Recessive Slate

Recessive Slates breed true. In my opinion they are an absolutely beautiful bird. They all come from Porter's stock as he is the one who imported them from Australia.

People buying them from Porter's are required to sign a contract that gives Porter control over them. It is my understanding that these people have to get Porter's permission when it comes to the sale of their turkeys.

@Noellereagan has Recessive Slates and Recessive Lilacs.

Self Blue aka Lavender have the dominant slate gene and cannot be created directly from Recessive Slates. They also have the black genes (BB) while Recessive Slates have the bronze genes (bb).

One of the reasons for the contract with Porter is to control the breeding of the Recessive Slates and to make sure no one is crossing them with dominant Slates thus polluting the genes and trying to pass dominant slates off as Recessive Slates.

I know that among others, Porter has also created Recessive Blue Narragansetts from his line of Recessive Slates.

The Recessive Slates are said to be bb slsl and have barred wings and penciling in their tail feathers which makes me wonder if they aren't also pnpn.

Last edited:
I am soooo far behind that I am not even going to try and catch up today. It has been both a good and bad month, but the bad stands out.

To start, we lost a niece, which is very sad and very young at 25. Left 2 children.

Lost both of my Narragansett hens - different reasons. And I lost my best MW tom Cooper. I have lived here for 20 years and never saw a rat - but that's what killed him. I have been on a month-long vendetta.

My sister is looking at some turkey poults for me. (She says for me, but really for her!) These are poults born from two recessive (blue) slate parents and are supposed to breed true. Does anyone know about this variety? Oh, and their background comes from Porter's birds if I understand correctly. What she actually wanted was a self-blue or lavender, but if I am correct, she won't get that from these particular birds?

I had a bunch of Narragansett poults from Goldie, but have sold all but 2. After she hatched out eggs and left the nest, I checked them and managed to save one that hatched out 2 days behind its siblings. And, who then - a few days later - ended up having wry neck. Another new experience. However, s(h)e seems fine now after treating with Vit E and B. I kept one other poult that may be a golden Narragansett like the mother, but it's not like I know.

I also have 6 midget white poults from my hens that are doing well. All poults are under 3 weeks and/or 6 days.

Temps yesterday went to 99.3. It was already 91.3 before 11am. Will be spending most of my day babysitting buckets of water and sprinklers.
:oops::old
So sorry :hugs :hugs

@R2elk do you remember who was wanting to know about sex link black skin in chickens? I remember you and @duluthralphie were talking about CRS and me because I couldn't remember where I seen it. Now I can't remember who was looking or what thread.

But I found a new thread where compost king talks about it https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ranger-breeding-project.1382235/page-3

Screenshot_20200610-132329.png

Back
Top Bottom