A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

yeah but we put lights on just so we could have some jan babies..... lol
gotta get those 4h fair projects hatched on time!
I refuse to deal with hatchlings in January. I will start collecting chicken eggs in mid February to set on March 1. That is the earliest that I will hatch anything.

Of course I don't need to deal with showing poultry.

I refuse to deal with hatchlings in January. I will start collecting chicken eggs in mid February to set on March 1. That is the earliest that I will hatch anything.

the things we will do for kids!

as rough as this year was for her as far as projects go we will be hatching anything that even looks close to what she wants! lol

we are still waiting to see if the 4h office will allow her to have a chicken project this year. we had a mix up about turning in a record book for a project that we understood was canceled, but the 4h extension office still expected a record book for and the policy seems to be that if the kids start a project and do not turn in a record book for it then the following year they can not have a 4h project in that specific area. so in my daughters case , because of the covid and the limited fair with market animals only, she turned in her record book for her market turkey(the one project that went to fair) but not one for her breeding chickens, so next year she is welcome to enter any 4h project except chickens..... this doesn't sound too bad except it means that she can not show the Black necked necks that she has been breeding for the past 3 years.

so I will do everything we can to ensure she can take anything else she chooses to... even turn the lights on the turkeys in nov and hatch in Jan.... oy
gotta love kids

I won't waste a single turkey egg. They determine when my incubator gets turned on. When they start laying, I start hatching! I know the poults will sell, even if I have to hold them a little longer. That, and I get a head start on next year's Thanksgiving :)

I won't waste a single turkey egg. They determine when my incubator gets turned on. When they start laying, I start hatching! I know the poults will sell, even if I have to hold them a little longer. That, and I get a head start on next year's Thanksgiving :)
I eat my turkey eggs...if they aren’t up in the rafter nests....in. Which case the turkeys bomb the chickens with them.

I get too attached to the little bug eyed babies.... besides they taste amazing!

Sweetgrass hens
full

full

full

full

full

Back
Top Bottom